This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Summer is basically here, it’s so close we can feel it in everything from our need for warm weather, to our nonexistent motivation. For all of us from far away or out of state, summer also means going home. We cannot wait to see all our friends back home and catch up on all the great (and maybe not so great) memories from the school year. But there’s also the dreadful feeling of leaving our college friends for such a long period of time. What if they forget us? The FOMO is real.

As a person who is naturally anxious in social situations, I am constantly worried my friends are going to forget about me or have more fun without me. The phrase “out of sight, out of mind” is my nemesis. I probably annoy my friends even more by making sure we still communicate even when I’m gone. It is safe to say that iMessage and Snapchat are the most used apps on my phone. If I’m not snapchatting, I’m sleeping.

It’s silly, really, all the worries that go through my mind. What if they start dating someone and I’m not there to hear all the details? Who’s going to help them when they get too drunk? I want to be there for all of it.

It’s not that I love my college friends more than my hometown friends. That’s like comparing mac and cheese to pizza — different, but both are still amazing. I feel all these things about my friends from home when I go back to school. If only I could have all my favorite people in one place all the time. Oh well, a girl can dream.

So a head’s up to all my friends: don’t hate me for responding to your snapchats .6 seconds after, I just love you to death. I also will probably hug you for a good twenty minutes when we’re reunited.

California native transplanted in Utah.I love sushi and hate seafood. I understand I'm strange, let's just accept it and move on.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor