Standing Up To Trump: Everyone Can Make A Difference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The large majority of young people in America don’t agree with President Trump or his platform. In fact, if only millennials had voted, Hillary Clinton would’ve received 504 electoral college votes. It can sometimes feel like there’s nothing you can do to make a difference, or have your voice be heard when you’re just a young person, but there are a lot of ways that we can stand up for what we believe is right without having to be rich or powerful.

Attend Rallies

It can seem like rallies and protests don’t bring about results, but some of the most important events in history were thanks to protestors. If you don’t know when there are rallies coming up I recommend looking on Facebook or watching the news. One way I have found events is by following Kate Kelly on Facebook. Her name may sound familiar, because she was the leader of the Ordain Women movement that was heavily covered in the news. She is constantly taking a stand for civil liberties, and posts the information on events so that her followers can get involved as well. 

Donate to Planned Parenthood or the ACLU

As we know, Republicans and Democrats don’t see eye to eye on women’s health, and this administration in particular has mentioned a plan to defund Planned Parenthood. Now, more than ever, this organization needs the donations of citizens like us so that they can continue to help our communities. Even a donation as small as $5 can help someone get the care they need. The ACLU is another group that could really use donations right now. They fight for the civil rights of people living in the United States, and played an integral part in having Trump’s Muslim Ban blocked. Here are the links to donate if you are interested:

https://secure.ppaction.org/site/Donation2?12913.donation=form1&df_id=12913

https://action.aclu.org/donate-aclu?redirect=donate/join-renew-give

Use Your Social Media

Technology has given us the ability to post something on the internet and have it be seen by thousands of people. While this power is often used for cat videos and cooking tutorials, it can also be a great tool to show the world what you believe. Next time you come across a good video or article, don’t be afraid to share it. 

Volunteer On A Political Campaign

2018 will be here before we know it, and the Democrats could regain control of the Senate, but only if they win elections. Campaigns depend on community volunteers to get the word out through calls, signs, and door-to-door visits. Campaigning is also a great way to meet new people who think like you do.

Be Nice And Stand Up For People

One of the simplest things you can do to make a positive impact in the world is to be nice. With a current administration that was built on fear and hate, it’s amazing how much power a smile can make. It’s also important that we stand up for those who can’t stand up for themselves. When you see someone being discriminated against for any reason, don’t be afraid to speak up.

Editor’s Note: All articles for Her Campus at the University of Utah are the opinions and beliefs of the writers and do not reflect Her Campus at the University of Utah, the University of Utah or Her Campus as an international magazine.

Business major at the University of Utah. Politics fanatic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor