To Rush or not to Rush?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Welcome back to school, collegiettes! Summer has sadly come to an end and we are all back to campus reading, writing and, hopefully, socializing. There are important things that you have thought about and planned for as you started school: your major, where will you live, work on campus or off, what to wear on the first day, sneakers or sandals, hair up or hair down. Hopefully on that list to ponder and meditate over was also whether or not to rush.

What does it mean to rush, you ask? In the fall right after school starts the Greek sororities and fraternities accept applications, or pledges, for acceptance into their organizations. The students who are applying to join are “rushing.” During Greek Week, new pledges have the opportunity to socialize and get to know each sorority’s leaders, and they get to know you. At the end of the week there is a period of silence, meaning there is no contact at all between current members and those who are rushing, in which the sorority leaders select the girls they want to join the sorority.

Greek life can be very rewarding. Each sorority is required to do a certain amount of community service and philanthropy work. Being involved with the community in a service-oriented way can network you with community leaders and give you leadership experience, especially if you are one of the organizers. And we all know that extracurriculars are a must-have. Along with service projects comes employment assistance when you graduate. Greeks are networked across the country in a broad spectrum of careers. One of the things Greeks boast the loudest are the employment opportunities they find after graduation.

As a sorority sister you will immediately have a support network of new sisters. They will be there for you through thick and thin, through spring break and finals week, through new boyfriends and breakups. Most of the time sororities move in to a house together. Have you seen Greek Row? It’s on the north side of North Campus Drive, east of 1300 East. Living together is especially helpful if you moved away from home to attend the U and are new to Salt Lake City. The instant family is yours as soon as you are accepted into their organization.

If you didn’t know, Greeks like to socialize. With socializing comes mixers with other sororities and fraternities, parties around campus and getting to know the Greek community because the different houses are grouped together in the same neighborhood. As a Greek there will be plenty of opportunities to meet new people and make life-long friends. House Bunny and Old School, anyone?

Of course, there are two sides to every story, right? Along with all this good stuff comes the catch.

When you join a sorority you have to pay dues. Membership fees vary by organization, but every one has them. Also, the money you pay doesn’t always end with dues. You may have to pay money to charity or purchase certain sorority items like shirts, sweaters, etc. If your sorority is planning a charity event but doesn’t sell all the required tickets, what happens? The cost gets split between the members, and you pay up. What happens if someone forgot to send in some paperwork and there are late fees? The cost is split between members, and you get the bill.

Along with that awesome social calendar is a major time commitment. If your sorority is hosting a mixer and you have a report due the next day, it’s likely you will be putting off the paper and attending the mixer. With a full Greek social calendar it can be difficult to have time for friends outside of the Greek system. Be conscious of the amount of time you can commit. You don’t want your required social calendar to get in the way of your academic responsibilities.

Every house has a reputation, good or bad. Make sure you are selecting a house that can build your reputation in a positive manner, instead of getting you caught up in rumors and associations with shady characters. If the purpose of joining is to build your resume, exchange in social gatherings and create a positive college experience, make sure you are picking the right house to accomplish that for you.

Remember that every campus and every sorority is different. You want to do research to make sure you are picking the house that is the right fit for your goals and commitments. During Rush Week talk to as many people as possible, ask questions, socialize and get to know a few of the members from each of the houses. This will help you decide, not only if Greek is the way for you, but which house you are more likely to click and find satisfaction with.

Good luck!

Jetta is a fun and spunky communication student at the University of Utah. She has a lot of energy and an outgoing personality- perfect for her work in service coordination, peer advising, the Department of Communication, Express, and of course HerCampus! Jetta loves social media, writing, and learning new promotion and advertising skills. She does not currently drive a Jetta, but hopefully she can afford one upon completion of her degree!