Kate Childers: Panhellenic President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Kate Childers is a Delta Gamma sorortity sister, the Director of Programming for Delta Gamma, and serves as the Panhellenic President. She is an incredible female leader on campus at the U and that is why we are so excited to call her our Campus Celebrity. Find out what inspires Kate and what a typical day entails for her! 

Name:  Kate Childers

Hometown:  Holladay, UT

Graduation Year:  2015

Major:  Entrepreneurship

Her Campus (HC):  What influenced you to go Greek?

Kate Childers (KC):  I was influenced to go greek because I’ve always loved getting involved and meeting new people, which are two of the most significant benefits of joining the fraternity and sorority community. Going Greek is the absolute best way to make the most of your college experience. Our fraternity and sorority community is full of amazing people and encourages us all to be better. Through joining a sorority I’ve found a group of women that encourage me to be involved, excel academically, serve our community, and become a better person overall, and I know that these benefits will continue for years after graduation. 

HC:  How did you get involved with the Panhellenic Council?

KC:  I got involved in the Panhellenic Council because of the past Panhellenic president encouraging me to apply and because I wanted to give back to a community that has done so much for me.

HC:  How has your experience as the Panhellenic President been so far?

KC:  My experience as Panhellenic President has been incredible. It has honestly been the most rewarding experience I’ve had in college. I’ve loved getting to know the women of each chapter better, especially the amazing women that serve on council with me. They have become some of my very best friends and truly epitomize the ideal of Panhellenic sisterhood. 

HC:  How has that position helped you with other leadership roles?

KC:  Serving as Panhellenic President has helped me so much to develop as a leader in all aspects. It has helped me refine my skills of organization, delegation, time management and so many more that I know will not only help me in leadership roles in college, but in my future career endeavors.

HC:  Would you encourage other girls to join the Panhellenic Council?

KC:  I cannot say enough good things about becoming involved in Panhellenic Council! Not only will you gain incredible leadership experience, but the connections within the fraternity and sorority community that you will make will be invaluable. Applications will become available for next year on Monday, October 27 and be due November 10th. If anyone is interested please contact us at utahpanhellenic@gmail.com

HC:  What’s a typical day like for you with classes and PHC Council responsibilities?

KC:  A typical day for me consists of going to class, studying, attending meetings for Panhellenic and my sorority, as well as making time for my friends and family.

HC:  What are you plans for after graduation?

KC:  After graduation I eventually want to start my own event planning firm. I hope to begin work for an existing company after graduation and start my own business within the next 5 years.

HC:  What is one piece of advice you want to tell girls in a sorority or thinking about pledging?

KC:  My biggest advice for women thinking about joining a sorority is to disregard any preconceived notions they may have about fraternity and sorority life, and to go through recruitment to find out for themselves. Recruitment is typically held within the first couple weeks of fall and spring semester and more specific information can be found on our website fraternityandsororitylife.utah.edu. If anyone has specific questions they can email utahpanhellenic@gmail.com. Joining a sorority has been the best decision I’ve made in college and I would encourage every woman at the U to go through recruitment!

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!