Janie Despain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Janie Despain is a student here at the University of Utah and has a voice most would kill for. She sings like a goddess. Janie is studying health, business, and dance, and is apart of many student groups on campus. She is also currently the MUSS Board Vice President. When she isn’t so busy with school she likes to sing in her free time, which she has basically been doing since birth. Throughout her entire life, she has been performing in dance and singing groups, and has trained in a variety of vocal styles, and plays the piano and guitar.

Janie has taken her talents to many different venues and events, including the 2002 Olympics, Carnival Cruise Line, Tuachan Theatre, and the Utah State Senate where she sang the National Anthem while serving as Miss Sandy 2012. She found her time as Miss Sandy to be the most rewarding because she was able to sing all over the state for non-profit organizations, and special needs communities. 

In 2009, Janie started working in a studio to get her music out to the world, holding nothing back. One of her favorite quotes, “I would rather go through life with a few ‘oh-wells’ than ‘what-ifs’,” is what pushed her to go for it and as she says, “lay it all out on the table.” Supporting Janie is her friends and family, but most importantly her sister, Lacie Despain. Lacie, who is also super involved on campus as the Student Alumni Board President, sings a few backups in Janie’s songs. Janie says, “We’re really close. In fact, they call us the ‘Dancing Despains!'” 

When making music, Janie’s favorite thing to do is cover fast paced, upbeat songs and turn them into ballads. An example of this is her first single and cover, Don’t You Worry Child. By turning a fast song into a slow ballad, it “gives the listeners a chance to hear what the artist’s lyrics are truly saying,” says Janie. 

We at Her Campus Utah are thrilled to have been given the chance to feature Janie as one of our Campus Celebrities. She is truly blessed with an amazing voice!

Through all of her success with school and singing, she still remains to stay humble and true to herself. To her, music is a fun, extra hobby and job. Sure, she would love to rock a stage with backup dancers for millions of fans, but right now she’s having too much fun being Just Janie, as her EP is titled.

To listen to Janie’s music, check out her EP Just Janie on iTunes, and a few of her music videos on YouTube!

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!