you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Importance of Learning the Phrase “I’m Interested”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As a college student today there are so many opportunities that are constantly available…or at least available for application.  There are so options that it can be overwhelming to even know where to begin- this is where learning the phrase “I’m interested” in a professional context and how to use it correctly comes into play and is incredibly valuable for any collegiette.

“I’m Interested” commits you to nothing.

One of the best things about the phrase “I’m interested” is that it doesn’t commit you to anything.  It is a phrase that you can use when you are just curious about an opportunity or want to receive more information.  It is the first step in the professional world to applying or signing up for something, but it also doesn’t guarantee that you are going to do it.  This is very well accepted in the professional world, but don’t be surprised if when they give you all of the information they begin encouraging you to go through with it.  While it is not committing you to anything, it is also showing that they have a fish on a hook, which is the first step for them to get someone to join, apply or volunteer. 

It is different than sliding right on tinder.

Using the phrase I’m interested in a professional sense is very different than in a dating sense.  When I hear that someone is interested in me in a dating sense, I take it much more seriously than I would if someone told me they were interested in joining my sorority at school.  The key difference lies that when someone is saying they are interested in a professional sense they tend to have very little knowledge on what they are inquiring about.  For the dating world, people tend to and it’s easier to do their research ahead of time. 

You don’t have to use it sparingly and it doesn’t require a response.

When I am looking for a job on campus or a new volunteer opportunity, I search my college’s webpage and then send about 10 emails all with the phrase “I’m interested in learning more about…” plastered throughout the email.  I do this because it is such a good way to learn more about an organization and takes hardly any time at all.  When I come back the next day, I have a plethora of options for how I should take my next step and then I only have to respond to the ones that I liked what I read.  When I say that it doesn’t require a response though- this goes both ways.  Not every time you send an email with “I’m interested in…” will you hear back from that person.  This could be because maybe they are flooded with too many emails OR it is not a sufficient enough phrase to deserve a response in comparison to the other emails they are receiving.  If there is an opportunity you are looking into seriously, it is wise to make the email much more personal than “I’m interested.” 

“I’m Interested” should only be used when you need more information…not when you are looking to get a job interview or offer.

Piggy backing off of the last paragraph, the phrase I’m interested should only be used if you are looking for more information on a company or opportunity.  It is not something that should be used if you know you are already interested, have done your research and now are looking to make contact with a person in charge.  For this type of communication, something more personal and advertising for yourself needs to be sent…may I suggest attaching your resume.

I’m interested is a powerful phrase that women should not be shy about using.  It helps you make an informed decision before committing to something and let’s you know what you could be getting yourself into. 

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor