This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Meet Ellie Cook! She is your average freshman from right here in the valley; however, she was born in Escuintla, Guatemala! She is working hard towards a BFA in Musical Theatre, while just being initiated as a new member of Alpha Chi Omega. Want to know more about this future broadway star? Keep reading!

Musical Theatre at the University of Utah

Her Campus: Why did you decide to enter the Musical Theatre program? 

Ellie Cook: I have been involved in musical theatre since I was six, so it’s always been a part of my life. When I was a freshman in high school, I got involved in my school’s program, and that was the only thing I did. Seeing the opportunities that came upon me were amazing, and I couldn’t see myself without doing musical theatre. 

HC: What shows are you currently involved in here at the U? 

EC: I am not in any shows as of right now, but I have helped the tech team for our shows, Bring it On!, and I’m also going to tech Arcadia

HC: What is your favorite part about the Musical Theatre program? 

EC: Getting to work with people who know the field pretty well has definitely been a favorite part. I can tell you from personal experience that they help you learn how to succeed in your goals, and they do not sugarcoat anything; they tell you straight up how to improve. 

Alpha Chi Omega (ΑΧΩ)

Her Campus: What motivated you to go Greek at the University of Utah? 

Ellie Cook: If you look at the big picture, it is a small community out of 30,000 students, and I wanted to be involved with a group of girls that had my back on everything. Once I heard more about their purpose and philanthropy, that really motivated me because I’m all about volunteering and giving to the community. 

HC: What do you love most about your new sisters? 

EC: The sisterhood is definitely the best part because you can go to them for anything. For example, if you are having a bad day, you want to take a nap, etc. you can head over to the house and just talk to all of the girls there. You are able to have girls that are there for you every second of the day. 

HC: What do you look forward to for the rest of the semester, in terms of Greek Life?

EC: I am really excited to get to know every one else in the Greek system, whether that would be with other sororities, fraternities, etc. and just learning about everyone’s purposes and just getting to know them in general. I definitely think Greek Life is a great way to combine different personalities together and turn it all into a unified family. 

Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) 

Her Campus: Could you give the readers a background of what ‘Steatohepatitis’ is?

Ellie Cook: ‘Steatohepatitis’ (or known as NASH) is equivalent to scarring of the liver, caused by alcohol. However, I genetically inherited it, which is why it’s called ‘Non-Alcoholic’ Steatohepatitis; it is very common in Latinas.

HC: Did you ever have to go through ER runs for your diagnosis? 

EC: I definitely have! I have gone to the ER around 25 times in the past year or so because the illness is so unpredictable, like I could have an attack strike any moment. For example, let’s say I am walking down the street and then all of a sudden boom! “My liver is hurting.” It definitely gets painful and I cannot function sometimes. Back in the spring, the doctors finally decided to take out my Gallbladder, but there are still struggles everyday with my NASH. 

HC: Do you have to stick to a very strict diet with NASH? 

EC: Yes, I have to be very careful about what I eat. I diet very carefully to avoid the pains; I keep fats away because of the big triggers and I do not have a gallbladder anymore to help digest the fibers. 

HC: How did you find out that you were diagnosed with NASH? 

EC: I remember for the longest time when I was a kid, I would be in dance class and my right side under my ribcage would be hurting and everyone else would be like “Oh, we all go through it, you’re fine!” But then it became constant and then as I grew older I started to become more nauseous and I couldn’t hold down meals. Then it got to the point where the pains came out of nowhere and I couldn’t function; that was when I realized that I needed serious medical help. 

HC: How do you deal with NASH in your everyday life? 

EC: It is very hard because you are told that you cannot eat certain foods, and it is very difficult to hold back your cravings for those types of fats. But I feel like NASH gives me a purpose in life because it gives me better motivation to get in shape or doing other stuff I wouldn’t think I’d end up doing. 

Average Freshman Questions 

Her Campus: What is your favorite thing about the University of Utah? 

Ellie Cook: I really like how Utah is a very easy campus to navigate around; once I knew where everything was, I knew it. I was able to figure out the campus really well. 

HC: What made you decide to become a Ute? 

EC: I grew up right around the corner from campus and I did not really want to go out of state for college for my first year because of expensive tuition and I also wanted to be in the comfort of my own home the first year and I feel as if the U was meant for me for my major and affiliations. 

HC: What is your favorite food? 

EC: I am a sucker for Kit Kat Bars!

HC: Turn on’s? 

EC: If they are able to keep a conversation going!

HC: Turn off’s?

EC: When a guy is too cocky!

Grew up in the ocean of LA and in the mountains of Park City. I have the biggest passion for writing music... and also skiing. I was on the Dr. Phil show. Not for my problems, just for reacting to someone's discipline problems. I'm obsessed with shopping, Starbucks, Rap, EDM, and binge watching of Criminal Minds.  Follow me on the gram: @sophia_hella
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor