Dear Fine Arts Majors: Your Degree is NOT a Waste

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

When telling others you’re majoring in the fine arts, how often has your declaration been met with, “But, how will you get a job?” or, “You won’t make any money with that.” and finally, “Wouldn’t you rather major in business or biology?” As artists and scholars we don’t always feel the support we need, even from those whose opinions we value the most, like our family and friends. The arts are often viewed as hobbies rather than college majors that will result in a job after graduation. But as fine arts students, we know just how rigorous, time consuming, rewarding and both physically and mentally challenging these degrees can be. The skills we’re developing are invaluable. And yet, there’s still the stigma that by pursuing a fine arts degree we are setting ourselves up for failure. Just check out what Wells Fargo implied here in their recent advertising campaign.

It can be hard not to listen to the naysayesrs. But, to all you music, dance, film, art, and theatre majors, here’s why you should feel proud to be a part of the College of Fine Arts; your arts degree is not a waste.

You are Learning Transferrable Skills i.e. You’re Employable!

The myth that earning a CFA degree will only get you a job as a barista is completely false. As CFA students you’re learning important skills in your majors that translate to not only art related careers, but also across a wide range of professional fields. A few of the transferrable skills you’re developing include creative thinking, teamwork, critical analysis, an ability to take critique, collaboration, time management, dedication and a great work ethic. It’s all about how you frame it when you apply to positions. You have to sell yourself and let your employers know the ins and outs of your degree that helped you develop such valuable skills. Creative minds will be continually sought after in the job market, so go show them just how great you are.

If these skills aren’t enough to prove the doubters wrong, throw out some stats to emphasize that your degree has value. According to a survey done by the Strategic National Arts Alumni Project (SNAAP) the unemployment rate for arts and design graduates is only at about 4%, contrary to the popular belief that fine arts graduates are mostly unemployed. Less than 1% actually become waiters or baristas. SNAAP also reported that 74% of art and design graduates have been able to work professionally in their chosen fields. Only 53% of Mechanical Engineering graduates did the same. Check out SNAAP’s short, funny and informative video here to learn more about what’s possible with your CFA degree, how the world’s perception of fine arts majors is incorrect, and how your Uncle Henry is wrong. It’s worth a watch.

Statistically, You’re Happier and More Satisfied

In SNAAP’s survey, it was also discovered that artists are often assoicated with higher rates of happiness and job satisfaction compared to non-artists. This is due to job autonomy, variations of work, continual learning, creativity and self employment. So it looks like even if you don’t make millions, you’ll be happy, and that’s what really matters, right? 

You Get to Pursue Your Passion

If you’re majoring in the arts, then you’re doing it because you love it. It takes courage to go against the norm and earn what is considered a non-traditional degree. How many people can say when they graduate that they pursued their passion, not what seemed practical?

When you pick a field of study that excites you, you’re making way for a future career filled with dedication, hard work and drive. There’s an energy and power that comes from choosing to practice what you love everyday. So, congratulations on doing what many deem as taking a risk. 

Some Final Advice:

Success is subjective. Don’t let other’s opinions of what is “successful” weigh you down. Ask yourself the question Carrie Mae Weems posed in her poetic and thought-provoking SVA commencement speech, “How do you measure a life?” (watch it here). Will you measure your life in money? Promotions? In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, and cups of coffee? (couldn’t resist).

For some, success might be Broadway, for others it’s teaching high school theatre. Graduates might measure their success by the number of lives they’ve touched through their craft. Too often, people think that the arts are solely for the supremely talented. In their minds, only a small number find success and “make it”, but that just isn’t true. You should measure your life through what you’ve created and who you’ve affected, not by your fame or your bank account status. Those likely aren’t the reasons you got into the arts anyway.

Do what you can to prepare for the work force.  Talk to an advisor, visit career services and join campus groups like ArtsForce to prepare for life after college. ArtsForce presents a series of workshops and events at the U that will help you learn how to build your resume, interview and network. It also gives you the opportunity to connect with local artists and arts organizations during its big spring symposium. This networking event could lead to internships, jobs, or great advice from working fine arts grads. If this interests you, join ArtsForce here.

In the end, pursuing a degree in the arts will make your college experience memorable. It will also prepare you for employment, happiness, and living your passion. Don’t listen to the naysayers, and follow what you love.

Mary is currently a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Art History and Theatre Studies. When she's not jamming out to the Hamilton soundtrack you can find her perfecting her dancer pose in yoga class or obsessing over pugs on Instagram.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor