A Collegiate’s Guide to Energy Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s the most dreaded time of each semester when stress levels rise and sleep levels fall.  It’ s April, which means finals are right around the corner. While finals only last a week, they take an entire semester’s worth of preparation, and still end up being hellish. Finals week consists of all-nighters, studying, and probably some crying. And what do college students turn to in order to get through it all? Caffeine. Here are some do’s and don’ts concerning energy drinks to help you get through Hell Week.

Don’ts 

1. 5 Hour Energy.

This is a popular one, but you should really try to stay away from energy shots. There’s been some controversy with this product in that it has been linked to causing heart problems

2. Amp Energy.

There’s been issues with the serving size of Amp Energy cans. Along with being loaded with sugar, 275 calories to be exact, this energy drink packs the punch of drinking three coffees all at once. If you think you’re going to need that much caffeine, it’s safer and smarter to drink it progressively, not chug it all in one.

3. Arizona Tea Rx Energy.

With its “herbal tonic” recipe, this drink gives you buckets of sugar, and in reality little to no energy. You may as well be drinking a watered down cup of coffee.

4. Soda.

While soda does contain caffeine, you’re going to end up with more of a sugar kick than a caffeine rush, which also means the sugar crash that comes with it 15 minutes later. Beware the sugar rush!

Do’s

1. Black coffee.

A fourth of the calories, all the caffeine. Plain black coffee and espresso shots have been a staple of keeping you awake and alert for decades.

2. Red Bull.

Another favorite, Red Bull Energy drinks come in reasonable serving sizes, such as the smaller cans that come in packs of four. These drinks taste good, have the caffeine needed to get you through the night, and come in a size that allows you to pace yourself.

3. Rockstar Energy/Monster.

Both also extremely popular and right behind Red Bull, these drinks come in a multitude of flavors for those who may not enjoy the classic Red Bull flavor. Rockstar and Monster will both give you the energy you need while sticking to a basis of herbal ingredients.

With your caffeine in one hand and textbooks in the other, I wish you good luck in surviving Hell Week. Happy studying! 

Hey! I'm Carmen and I'm a second semester freshman at the University of Utah. I'm originally from Virginia, I absolutely love to travel, and I'm a huge sports fan. I'm also majoring in Graphic Design and minoring in Business!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor