7 Tips I Learned from Traveling in Europe for 7 Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Travelling alone is very different than travelling with your parents.  It requires you to pay attention. and gives you the independence to call all the shots.  I just had the opportunity to do so and was able to go to Paris, Amsterdam, and London with a couple of friends.  Here’s what I wish I would’ve known before:

1. Restaurant etiquette is different.

This is true on so many levels.  Water is not free.  Repeat after me.  Water is not free.  And in fact, it’s generally just as much as another beverage.  Ordering and paying is also different at many places and even at a sit down restaurant it is not uncommon.  When you are paying, it’s important to remember that many places already include tip but if they don’t, a 10% tip is considered generous.  If you are unsure about something, the best thing to do though is ask- don’t be afraid of looking dumb, every one already knows you are not a local anyways. 

2.  Public amenities are limited.

This means water, restrooms, and trashcans.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to bring a water bottle, and to go to the bathroom whenever you have the chance.  It is very different from the United States and public bathrooms are scarce, same with drinking fountains and trashcans.  

3. Free wifi is everywhere.

I was really worried about not having that much data or service when I went to Europe but I was pleasantly surprised that free wifi is in almost every restaurant, museum and public transportation center.  This gives you plenty of time to facebook, snapchat, and surf Her Campus.

4. Public transportation is really easy. 

I know public transportation can seem very daunting, especially if there is a language barrier, but it is surprisingly much easier than expected.  Make sure to grab a map (especially if you don’t have unlimited data) and be ready to use it constantly.  Get over the fear of looking like a tourist right now!

5. People may seem rude, but it’s likely the language barrier.

I experienced a lot of seemingly “rude” waiters and service people while I was away, but it wasn’t until I was on a tour with a local that I realized that it is probably more them not knowing English very well and trying to focus on what they are saying then it is them being impolite.  In the words of the German man I met, “you are very welcome.”

6. Once a local starts opening up to you, don’t be surprised if they are more welcoming than Americans.

Initially all the people I met had very hard shells, but once you broke through it they were very friendly.  They want to immediately add you on Facebook, might offer to buy you a drink (in a platonic way even) and one family even invited my friend and I to come visit them in their home country.

7.  You need to be aware of your surroundings.

The places I visited in Europe were all beautiful and safe, but there is still a need to be aware of what is going on around you.  This means keeping your money in a safe zipped purse or pocket and it strapped around your shoulder in front of you (I would recommend even keeping your hand on your purse.  You also should not be on your phone while you are walking or sitting on the metro so that you can be ready to react to situations and see them coming.  People will likely approach you but as long as you are nice but firm, it shouldn’t be a problem.

With these 7 tips hopefully you feel a little more prepared for your journey to Europe (they also apply to many other placed abroab)! Bon Voyage!

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor