7 Best Things To Do This Winter In SLC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Happy December! We all know winter is coming, and if you’re not an avid skier or snowboarder with winter comes avoiding outside as much as possible. When you get bored of netflix and hot chocolate or just need a little adventure, check out the fun things you can do within 20 minutes of Salt Lake City this winter. 

Sledding

Salt Lake City has many sledding hills close by that are perfect for a quick sledding. If you’re looking for something more planned, a quick drive up the canyon takes you to Park City, Utah’s Gorgoza Park. Gorgoza is a tubbing park with 7 tubing hills and a tube lift that takes you right back to the top; making it easy to tube over and over again. If you’re feeling cold or just need a break head down to Café Yurt at the bottom of the hill for delicious hot chocolate and other warm snacks.

Ice Skating

Get a group of friends or a date and head down to the Gallivan Center. The Gallivan center offers cheap $5 admission for a night of skating under beautiful lights and the night sky. Located at 50 E. 200 South the Gallivan center is close to many places you can get a quick bite to eat after or have a relaxing dinner.

Hiking

Hiking in the winter can give you some of the most amazing scenary. You can always hike up the mountain resorts, but if you’re looking for a short yet rewarding hike, Donut Falls is 3.5 miles round trip and easy to do year-round. At the top is a breathtaking waterfall that freezes over when it gets further into the winter months. This hike is perfect for all skill levels. 

Play in the Snow!

After a snowfall is the best time to go outside and take advantage of the fresh powder. Head outside and have a snowball fight, make snow angels, build a snowman and maybe even an igloo. Don’t worry, because if you mess up you can just knock it down and start all over again.

Skiing/Snowboarding

Utah is known for “the best snow on earth” so even if you aren’t an avid skier/snowboarder it is definitely worth getting up on the hill at least once this season to take advantage of the incredible snow and proximity to some of the best resorts in the world.

Zoo Lights

Every holiday season the Hogle Zoo decorates the whole zoo with beautifully sparkling lights. They decorate the zoo with more than 250 animated light displays, twinkling lights and a 135 foot lighted tunnel. Starting on December 3rd, this is perfect for a night out with friends or even a romantic date with your special someone.

Temple Lights

The Temple lights are a beautiful (and free) activity that you must do at least once this holiday season. The lights turn on every night beginning the day after Thanksgiving and can be seen all around downtown Salt Lake. Though you can see them from virtually anywhere downtown, the most amazing view is seen from Salt Lake’s Temple Square. The lights are on every night from 5:30pm until 10:00pm with the exception of December 11th-13th when they will be on until 11 and accompanied by the Tabernacle Choir Christmas concerts. Grab dinner or hot chocolate downtown then walk around under these amazing lights. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor