6 Ways to Make a Difference at the University of Utah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Every collegiette has a different reason behind why they volunteer. Whether it’s a resume builder, class assignment, or wanting to make a difference everyone has a story. The best recourse for students at the University of Utah to start their story is the Bennion Center. The Bennion Center provides a wide variety of opportunities in almost every area of interest. If you want to make a difference this semester here are six great places to start!

1. Children’s Center

The Child’s Center is a therapeutic preschool that specializes in enhancing the behavioral and emotional needs in early childhood aged children and their families. Volunteers help give children the skills they need in order to be successful in daily life through art, reading, and play activities. Volunteers are asked to volunteer for one three-hour session per week in hopes of giving the children consistent role models.

2. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah

If you’ve ever wanted a to make the difference in the life of a child and build a strong one-on-one relationship, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah is the place to be. When volunteering for BBBS of Utah you have the opportunity to mentor a child between the ages of 6 and 16 who is facing adversity. Mentors are able to provide supportive relationships through one-on-one activities to promote a healthy attitude and lifestyle. Volunteers are paired with a child for no less than one year and are able to plan two to four activities per month. This gives youth consistency in their life, something they tend to miss out on.

3. Running Forward

Running, youth, and making a difference; the perfect volunteer combo. Running Forward is a running club in Title 1 schools to help low-income and at-risk youth develop a passion for physical activity and healthy lifestyles. For one hour every Friday volunteers are able to mentor youth while facilitating group runs and activities.  Not only can you make a difference, but it’s also a great way to keep off that freshman 15!

4. Girls Scouts Outreach

For over 100 years Girls Scouts have been building courage, confidence, and character in the lives of young girls all over the world. Through the Girls Scouts Outreach program you have the opportunity to lead weekly, preplanned activities in various Title 1 Schools across Salt Lake City. Empowering girls leads to empowering collegiettes.

5. The Road Home

Through their core values of equal treatment, compassion, respect, and dignity, the Road Home provides emergency shelter and personal case management to those facing homelessness in Salt Lake County.  They strive to help families overcome obstacles that led to them becoming homeless. The Road Home offers a variety of volunteer opportunities through the Bennion Center including their book club, playroom, and teen’s night out. These opportunities are typically for one hour per week and allow volunteers to be a mentor, teach social skills, and be a positive role model in our community.

6. Special Olympics Utah Team

“Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt” This oath that Special Olympic athletes take is an inspiring reminder of what a difference we are capable of making. Special Olympics Utah provides the opportunity for people with intellectual disabilities to play and compete in sports such as swimming, bocce ball, basketball, golf, track and field, softball, and soccer. Volunteers are able to coach, coordinate competitions, and participate in monthly activities and fundraisers. Special Olympics serves 4.4 million athletes world wide and is supported by more than 750,000 volunteers.

The University of Utah is so lucky to have such an impactful resource on campus. The Bennion Center is one of the best ways to get involved not only on campus but in our community as well. It’s easy to get involved and find something you are passionate about.  Follow the link below to register. Get out and make a difference this semester!

http://bennioncenter.org/students/volunteer/index.php

Taylor Swift isn't a major so I guess Human Development and Family Studies will have to do. All I want in life is for T - Swift to know that we are BFF's, a closet full of Kate Spade, and an endless supply of Chick-Fil-A. Until I find a magic genie to grant my three wishes I'll stick with working for a non-profit, doing a ridiclious amount of online shopping, and being obsessed with my sorority. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor