5 Ways to Discover Your Hidden Talent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We are constantly surrounded by images and videos of celebrities showing off their talent, and we even take the time to watch these talented people award each other for all their hard work.  Sometimes it can be discouraging thinking that we’ll never be as good with a bow and arrow as Jennifer Lawrence or be as handsome as Zac Efron; ok so that’s not a talent, but still!  Don’t let these big name talents discourage you from discovering and embracing your own.  Your talent can be weird and somewhat useless or a marketable one, but talent is talent and here are a few ways to get started!

1. Start small.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to juggle knives while hula-hooping and simultaneously apply eyeliner, but most of us get stressed trying to juggle school, work, and a social life.  Instead of aiming for a Guinness Book talent, think about the smaller tasks that you are good at.  They can be everyday things, like organizing your schedule, or that famous pasta you make. 

2. Think outside the box.

Not every talent has to be a stage talent such as singing, or dancing.  It’s easy to feel like you don’t have a talent if you keep your definition locked into Hollywood.  Talent doesn’t have to be performanced based.  Just check out YouTube for all the hair and makeup tutorials that non-professionals put up.  Knowing all the different kinds of makeup available and how to apply it is a talent that usually starts out as a hobby and can ever grow into a career!

3. Explore new areas.

Now is the time to try out that new sport or hobby you have always been interested in.  If you try activities that you might not normally do, you might also discover that you are really good at it.  Turn your interests into a talent by stepping into new territory.  

4. You choose.

Sometimes when we listen to singers we can’t help but think that they were just born to sing (hint, hint: Christina Aguilera). But for the rest of us mere mortals, we have the chance to choose. Pick something that you’ve always admired, perhaps baking and focus your attention on that.  If it’s something you love, chances are you will be good at it. 

5. Never give up.

Talent doesn’t always magically appear.  Often, you have to spend time crafting your skills.  Don’t be afraid of failure along the way and remember that there are many resources available.  Take classes, browse Pinterest and YouTube, and read up on how your idols did it. 

Bonus:

Ask Others.

Ask at your own risk!  Some people might not know what to say, or they will tell you what you don’t want to hear.  However, if you pay attention to what people are complementing you on, that can be a clue to your hidden talent!  If people always say you dress cute and raid your closet, personal styling could be your niche.  Rachel Zoe made her career around it and even landed her own show. So go ahead, just go for it! 

Kayla Van Hoose