5 Reasons Why Freshman Year is the Best Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As the school year is coming to a close it’s hard not to get a little sentimental about your first year in college.  Although there are many ups and downs as you try to navigate your new life as a freshman, it is easily one of the best years of college.  You are one step closer to the real world and have learned more about who you are and who you want to be.  Good or bad, you always remember your first! 

Fresh Start.

It can be hard to start school again as a freshman when you’ve gotten used to being the big, bad senior at your high school.  However, it’s the perfect place to start over and decide who you want to be.  Shedding your high school image is easy on campus because people are a lot less judgmental of others.  Who you were and the grades you got don’t have to matter anymore because you are starting fresh! 

Undecided? That’s ok.

When you start off as a freshman, you can have no idea what you want your major to be and it’s no big deal because you have time to explore!  This will probably be the only year where you don’t get bombarded with questions about what your major is and what job you’ll get after college.  Enjoy this time of uncertainty!  

Living on campus.

Not only is living on campus convenient, but you really do meet all kinds of people in the dorms.  There are students from all around the world, and maybe even some kids that you went to high school with, but never talked to.  Take this opportunity to chat with everybody, even those you think you know.  Plus there’s usually free events and clubs to join around campus (like Her Campus Utah), and you’re more likely to hear about these if you live in the dorms.

Surrounded by people.

If you live on campus you are surrounded not only by people, but students your own age.  No matter what time of day or night there is usually someone awake doing something in the hangout areas around campus.  Late night conversations or food runs become a common occurrence and are some of the best memories for freshmen. 

Independence.

Freshman year is great because you have your independence from your parents (even if they only live 20 minutes away), but you still have their support to fall back on.  It’s the perfect trial year to see what it’s like to be an adult by making some of your own decisions and have some privacy with the safety net of mom and dad. 

Try to take in all the experiences that are thrown at you because you only get to be a college freshman once!  

Kayla Van Hoose