5 Positive Lessons to Learn From Miley Cyrus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With Miley Cyrus’s “Bangerz” tour just kicking off and her steamy kiss with Katy Perry, we all can’t help but to think: Miley!  Although Miley Cyrus no longer stands at the top of the list of good role models, she is more than just an outrageous celebrity.  She may not be your favorite singer and yes, you can be annoyed by her tongue usage, but she does have her strengths.  We at HC Utah are choosing to only focus on her strengths.  Here are 5 positive lessons we can all learn from Miley Cyrus:

Lesson 1: She embraces change. 

Change is never easy for anyone, and we should be grateful that we don’t have the entire world waiting to judge us.  Whether it was her choice or not, Miley shed her Disney image whole heartedly and embraces her new self.  Learn to respect people’s changes even if you don’t agree with it.

Lesson 2: She challenges beauty norms.

Miley certainly isn’t the first girl to chop her hair off, but by doing so she challenged the norm of woman having long, beautiful, flowing hair.  Without her lush locks though, Cyrus is still rocking her confidence and showing that girls with short hair are still beautiful and fabulous!

Lesson 3: She channels her pain into art. 

Cyrus is still a person and when she allows her private feelings to become public, she is taking a risk.  While the “Wrecking Ball” video may have overshadowed the vulnerability of the lyrics, she shows that expressing pain through art can be helpful.  Next time you feel sadness, try reaching for a paintbrush or simply writing down your feelings for a little creative therapy. 

Lesson 4: She isn’t afraid to speak her mind. 

While women work the same jobs as men there is still an underlying sense that women need to be seen and not heard.  Cyrus scoffs at this mentality.  Even though her musical content is often about her right to do drugs and party, the rest of us can still learn that we shouldn’t be afraid as women to speak up for what we want.

Lesson 5: She has a sense of humor.

Cyrus has to deal with an endless amount of hate from the media.  She could shy away from the press, but instead she takes the negativity hurled at her and fires back with a laugh.  She doesn’t take herself too seriously and neither should we.  Don’t let people who don’t support you hold you back.  If you can learn to laugh at yourself, others will eventually get bored of trying to hurt you.

Kayla Van Hoose