5 Stages of Being Sick in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

People always told me that I would get sick often my freshman year and they were right. I’ve learned that there’s a specific sequence of events when you’re sick in college.

1. Denial

This is when you feel just a little off. It might begin with a slight sore throat or a headache, but you don’t believe that it’ll turn into anything, so you pop some Advil and still make it to all your classes.

2. Anger

You’ve wake up the next morning, and your throat is on fire and you can’t breathe out of your nose. This is when the anger takes over. You have two essays, three quizzes, one exam and have no time for this sickness!!!

3. Bargaining

This is when you start to blame yourself. “Maybe if I went to the doctor sooner I wouldn’t be like this”, and other thoughts run through your mind. You might even pray to a higher power to feel better even though you’re not religious (trust me, it doesn’t work).

4. Depression

Okay, you know you’re sick. So now you’re going to have FOMO over the weekend and imagine all of the fun things your friends are doing without you. You just want a hug, but no one will hug you in fear of being infected.

5. Acceptance

Ah, the final stage of sickness. You’re done denying this; you are sick as a dog. So lay in bed with a big box of tissues and pick a good Netflix series, you might be here for a while.

Caity Berk, Former Campus Correspondents, is a current Senior at the University of Tampa, studying Marine Science & Biology with a minor in Environmental Sciences. She loves onion rings, dark chocolate, and empowering women. When she finally decides to grow up, Caity wants to work with people and help them understand the importance of the natural resources that surround us