Spring Break Makeup Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Spring break will be here within the blink of an eye. Whether you are going to Cancun or your local beach, you want your makeup to look its best because you never know when a photo opportunity may arise. One of my biggest fears is that my makeup is going to melt off of my face at any moment. Here are a few tips to look like a beach beauty:

1. Protection
Protecting your skin from the harmful rays of the sun is always a crucial thing to do. Not wearing a moisturizer that contains SPF can cause premature wrinkles on your face and even skin cancer. Using a moisturizer that contains an SPF of 15 or higher will help you to prevent these things. I use “Olay Total Effects Fragrance-Free UV Moisturizer with SPF 15”, it works perfectly for me. It doesn’t leave my skin feeling too greasy after I apply it and it lasts throughout the day.

2. Cover Up
Applying foundation in the summer is a huge hassle. I rarely wear foundation as it is but I know many people do. A great alternative for the summer is BB Cream or a tinted moisturizer. MAC makes a great tinted moisturizer called “MAC Studio Moisture Tint”. This product contains SPF 15 so just in case you forget to apply a moisturizer, you’ll be fine with just applying this. Tinted moisturizer is great for giving yourself an even skin tone. It goes on so smoothly and it doesn’t make your face feel or look like you just baked a cake on it. The only downside about this product is the price, it usually retails for around $40 but it lasts forever. A cheaper alternative would be BB Cream, ranging anywhere from $15 to $45. If you do have oily skin, carrying blotting papers with you is a good idea. I carry mine wherever I go. You can find blotting papers at CVS, Walmart, Sephora and Macy’s. I bought mine from Sephora for $6.

3. Fake it ’til You Make it
Almost every woman wants to look like a gorgeous bronzed, sun kissed model during spring break. Applying bronzer will give you a healthy glow. I use a bronzer by Lorac that gives me the perfect glow. I have been using “LORAC Tantalizer Baked Bronzer” for over a year. I apply it above my cheekbones. I really do not like to go overboard with applying bronzer because there is a fine line between looking sun kissed and looking like an oompa loompa. I have the travel-sized LORAC bronzer,which costs around $16.
The awesome thing about this product is it doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals such as sulfates, synthetic fragrances or dyes, Petrochemicals, and Phthalates. I haven’t been able to find a cheaper alternative for this product. 

4.Keep it Simple
Let’s be honest, most of us do not want to apply a full face of makeup if it’s really hot. If you insist on wearing eye shadows then neutral shades are the way to go. I apply my under-eye concealer and set it with MAC’s mineralized power as an eyelid color. If I want to change my look up, I use my Naked palette by Urban Decay. This palette has many colors that can be used to create a day time or night time look. 

5. Long Lasting Lashes
Running mascara is never a pretty sight to see at the beach. Waterproof mascara is always a good solution to this problem but it is a pain to remove. “L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Waterproof Mascara” always does my lashes justice. It thickens and lengthens my lashes. It lasts throughout the day and doesn’t make me look like a raccoon after 5 hours. This mascara costs around $8, which isn’t a bad price for a good waterproof mascara.

Even if you don’t plan on wearing makeup, make sure you are drinking an ample amount of water to keep your body and skin hydrated.  Most importantly, don’t forget to have fun and be safe.