Sink or Swim: Thomas Tarantola

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

One of our own USFSP students will be attempting the 24-mile swim in the Tampa Bay

Freshman Biology Major, Thomas Tarantola, 18, has been training since the beginning of this year, for what might just be the longest swim he’ll ever endure. The sixteenth Annual Tampa Bay Marathon Swim will be on April 20th, 2013, right here in St. Petersburg. I got to speak with Tom about his training and preparation.

What does swimming this event mean to you?

Tom: This swim means a lot to me. It is a challenge and an opportunity to swim the Tampa Bay and prove that one man can complete the race by himself.

How have you been preparing for your swim? How many hours/days do you swim? and how many yards per workout?

Tom: I swim from 5-7 in the morning two days a week and do night practices on the main campus two nights a week. In each practice I average 5,000 yards and on top of that I spend about 1.5 hours in the gym 3-4 days a week. I started preparing at the beginning of the year and will be training all the way up to the race.

Would you like students to come out and see you? Will your family come to support you? 

Tom: Yes! I would appreciate to see students out there and watch me swim. My family will definitely be there the day of the race and you can interview me the day of. Just so you know I start to get ready at 6:30 and swim at 7 a.m.

Do you have to wear a specific suit? 

Tom: Yes I am preparing to wear a technical suit which will help me move through the water faster, smoother, and make me hydrodynamic.

http://www.arenaonlineshop.com/se_en/men/racing-swimwear/powerskin-r-evo-open-water-full-body-long-leg-closed.html

Did you swim for a high school team or a competitive team? What strokes and events did you compete in?

Tom: Yes, I swam for four years in high school swimming all strokes and all events. I continued that on my club team, Daytona Beach Speed, where my coach Steve Lochte placed me in mostly freestyle events.

You said you had roughly $1,000 more to collect? What happens if you are not able to reach the amount of money that you need? Will you still be able to swim?

Tom: If I am not able to reach the goal I am obligated to refund the money to anyone who donated to this cause and thank them for the support. I would be very sad to see that but I am hoping that I do not have to experience this situation.

How have you been trying to raise this money besides donations? Are you having any more fundraisers? 

Tom: I have been going around to people on and off campus and trying to get USF to donate/sponsor me in the race. I am speaking to some people and will probably ask to be a part of harbor side and collect donations that way.

Is the money that you are trying to raise, going to be used in trying to find a sponsor, or a team that will help you throughout your swim?

Tom: The money that I raise will go to admission ($1,500) and the rest will go towards a proper swim suit ($450), goggles and used to embroider my suit with my sponsor. In        relations to this, a large amount of this money goes to the environment and keeping the Tampa Bay area clean.

You can donate at http://usfspconnect.com/connect-for-a-cause/
and click on the “Donate” button in the middle of the page.

There are also donation jugs places around campus, so any donations are welcome!

Photo Credit

USFSP Connect
  http://usfspconnect.com/

Alejandra Vera

Vice President of Her Campus at the University of South Florida - St. Petersburg Junior majoring in Mass Communications, with a Minor in Journalism.