Shopaholic’s Guide to Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.
Black Friday (CyberMonday) is a shopaholic’s favorite part of the Thanksgiving break. 

With so many great deals to choose from it can become easy for one to get 

overwhelmed and sometimes even overspend. To prevent both of these things from 

happening here’s a guide to Black Friday shopping.

Pre-Black Friday

1. Set a Limit! Look at your budget and decide how much you will be able to spend, or 

if you have a Black Friday piggy bank count how much money you have saved over 

the year. 

2. Make a List and Check it Twice. Once you know how much money you plan on 

spending create a list of things you want to. Sometimes going through and cleaning 

out your closet can help you determine what you really need. 

3. Look Through Ads. By now most store have their Black Friday ads available online 

or in stores. Look through the different ads to see which store has the best deal for 

the items on your list. Also stores have addition coupons in their ads that can help 

you save even more money. 

Thanksgiving Night/ Black Friday

1. Cash Only. To prevent going over budget take out cash and leave you debt card 

home. That way when you’re out of money you know it is time to go home.  

2. Bring a Friend. Shopping is always better with a friends. They are an extra set of 

eyes, they will help you decide if you actually look good in things and prevent the 

dreaded impulse buys. 

3. Say No. During Black Friday many stores offer extra discounts for customers who 

open up a store credit card. Although it sounds like a good idea, there are tons of 

loop holes that the store doesn’t tell you about. JUST SAY NO!

Whether you are shopping for yourself or buying Christmas presents, hopefully this 

guide has help you prepare for November 27-28. 

Happy Black Friday Shopping!

I am a graduate student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg pursuing my Masters in Digital Journalism and Design. I have a strong photography background with expertise in writing, social media, event marketing, and graphic design. Williams can be reached by email at tamiracle@mail.usf.edu.    Life is like a Camera. You focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out you take another shot. ~ unknown
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.