Oceanic Lives Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Seventy percent of the Earth is covered by the ocean. This is a fact that I am sure a lot of people have heard of and were amazed by when they were first told it, but that’s as far as a plethora of people have cared about the ocean.

People see this huge body of water for its beaches and fishing sites. A place that they can swim in with friends and take a tan by. However, there is so much more to it.

When you have the perception of the ocean as just something to swim in, you tend to forget its true purpose. The ocean is home to many different marine species with a majority that have yet to be discovered. Yet people find the need to toss plastic and their personal trash in the oceans as if it’s some huge garbage disposal. We the people play a huge role in the reason why some of these marine species are dying and ending up extinct. Every little thing on this planet is crucial for survival, whether it’s for the survival of another animal or for us humans, it is all just as important.

It was announced just recently that the Great Barrier Reef is currently dying due to coral bleaching. This process occurs when the coral is put under a lot of stress from changes in the climate, more specifically temperature and nutrients. Although this may not be from direct human contact, other activities including fishing and burning fossil fuels have led to the current condition of the reef as well.

Photo courtesy of XL Catlin Seaview Survey

The Great Barrier Reef will surely be missed for its beauty, but the death of it may unfortunately lead to the death of some marine species. According to The Nature Conservancy, coral reefs help with sheltering about twenty five percent of marine species and could some day lead to the next medical breakthrough. The Great Barrier Reef itself is the largest coral reef ecosystem in the world. It could potentially be holding a lot more than twenty five percent of marine species and we are the reason why we may never have the chance to discover them.

Photo courtesy of David Doubilet

Twenty five million years have passed now and the Great Barrier Reef has served its purpose tremendously well. After hearing the tragic news of its soon-to-be death, I hope that it has sparked something in people to do a better job with maintaining the ocean. We need to realize now more than ever that we hold the power to make a change for the better in this world so why not use it to our advantage?

Who knows, maybe by coming together we can make a miracle and bring some of the beautiful Great Barrier Reef back to life!

HCXOXO

Shayla Fajardo

Sources:

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/habitats/coralreefs/coral-reefs-coral-bleaching-what-you-need-to-know.xml

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/14/us/barrier-reef-obit-trnd/

Shayla Fajardo is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg who is majoring in Biology. She enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of pizza, hanging out with friends, binge watching Netflix shows, and attending concerts. A goal of hers has always been to be more involved on campus, so she made sure to actively be involved in three clubs at USFSP- Her Campus, Multicultural Activities Council, and Harborside Activities Board. Shayla's ultimate life goal is to one day become a marine biologist who can travel the world and make a difference.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.