New Club LunchPals to Provide Mentors for Elementary School Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

With local elementary schools being deemed Failure Factoriesby the Tampa Bay Times, USFSP student, Kevin Erickson, did not  want to sit around and do nothing about it.

Working closely with Ron Dyner and many others, they came up with LunchPals, a mentorship program where USFSP students spend half an hour a week with their designated elementary school student. Erickson says the program will benefit students from both schools.

They are the foundation for this community. If we can establish a solid foundation with them for our future, then we can ensure success of the students here,Erickson said.

He says that the volunteering is good for all majors.

The business majors get help with having a connection to Raymond James, the education majors benefit by dealing with students first hand experience at the schools and the psychology students are dealing with kids who have been through some troubling circumstances,Erickson said.

LunchPals will have an orientation on Sept. 28th for new volunteers.

The training itself is introducing them to any of the situations that they may be placed in with these students,Erickson said. They could be put in the position where one of their students feels comfortable enough with them where they come to them with information about something that is happening domestically or in the school that is making them uncomfortable. Were training them to report in that situation and to know what to do.

Freshman Nicole Carroll, found out about LunchPals and will be going to the orientation.

I think children are very important and get the shorthand of the stick when society fails, like providing them with a great education. Also, Im a kid person so if I can make a difference in one kids life, Ill be happy,” Carroll said.

Erickson says it may be a cliche, but LunchPals has one main goal: giving back to the community.

Evy Guerra is a Journalism major at USFSP. After graduating she would like to write for the news to help tell stories that need to be heard. She loves reading memoirs, watching Parks and Recreation, and listening to Beyoncé with her sisters.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.