Movies on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

If you’re like me, going out to see movies turns into a really expensive activity. Movie prices seem to go up every time I visit a theater, and I think paying $10 to see a movie is ridiculous. Once you add in the snacks, seeing a movie with friends or your boyfriend cleans out your wallet! Don’t get swindled by movie theaters ever again! Here are some tips to keep your movie viewing experience inexpensive and fun.

For those of you readers living in the Tampa Bay area, you know all the good movie theaters like Parkside Mall, Baywalk, Beach Theater, and more. What you may not know, is that a lot of theaters offer rewards cards that give you tons of benefits and perks for seeing movies at their theaters! I personally have a Regal Card, which gives you 1 credit per dollar spent, whether it is on movie tickets, or at the snack bar. Every so many credits, I get free things such as: free movie ticket on my next visit, free small popcorn, $1 candy, or discounted beverages. All these things are rewards just for using my regal rewards card! I highly recommend getting a rewards card, whether it be for Regal, AMC, or any other theater that provides them.

Another tip: if you are willing to drive a little further, there are theaters that offer $4 and $6 movies Monday through Thursday! Largo Mall’s regal movie theater offers $4 movies anytime Monday through Thursday; their Friday through Sunday movies are only $6.50 (I think…it’s been awhile!). You can’t beat a deal like that! Seminole Mall offers a similar deal, with $6 movies Monday through Thursday. The theaters aren’t quite as new as Parkside Mall, but for the price it is perfect for college students on a budget.

Lastly, if you are really tight for money but still want to see one of the latest movies, check out RedBox. RedBox’s have the latest new release films for a fraction of what you pay at movie rental stores. I recently uncovered multiple promotional codes for RedBox that provide you with a free one-night rental. For one night, you can view the movie of your choice for FREE! For me, that is the best deal of all, and you can see the movie from the comfort of your own home eating popcorn that didn’t cost you $7.00.

Universal, always-working Redbox promo codes:

DVDONME
BREAKROOM
REDBOX

Codes that work at Redbox kiosks at specific stores: 

DVDATWAG – Good at any kiosk at a Walgreens store.
DVDATSONI – Good at any kiosk at a Sonic Drive-In

For more information on RedBox, as well as other money saving tips and activities check out the blog: http://www.prettyprovidence.com/2012/04/never-pay-for-redbox-again.html

Emily is a senior at USFSP studying English Literature. She has been with Her Campus for one year and one month, and loves all the friends she has made by joining. Her hobbies include reading, spending time with friends, baking, and catching up on her favorite television shows. Her favorite thing about Her Campus is the ability to write about things that are relevant to girls her own age, as well as covering fun campus events. She looks forward to her last semesters of under graduate study and Her Campus USFSP.