Meet your Campus Celebrity of the Week: Lindsay Fussell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

What is your full name?

Lindsay Lee Fussell

What is your major?

History, hopefully with a focus in Latin American History

What year are you?

A 5th year, yeah, let’s go with that!

What do you intend to do upon graduation?

Get married to my wonderful fiancé Phil.

But as for what I will do with my life?

I could write, move to Costa Rica and teach, start a band, the future is limitless for me right now.

In what ways are you involved in school?

I’m the Captain and standing president of the USFSP Quidditch team. I’ve also been a vice president of the unofficial “Tavern Drinking Team” for about 5 years now

How has your involvement in school impacted your personal life?

(Muggle) Quidditch, despite how weird it sounds (yes, it’s from Harry Potter), is one of the greatest things I have ever done with my life. My personal life has been impacted with all these wonderful people I realize I would have never met if I hadn’t started team at the Tampa campus and then moved back here to continue growing this wonderful sport.

Single or Taken?

Too busy fighting dragons. (Engaged to my wonderful fiance Phil, who graduated USFSP in 2008)

Do you work, and if so where?

I work at the Tavern on certain week nights, and I work for the International Quidditch Association (http://www.internationalquidditch.org) as the Regional Director of the South Region (I work with/for teams in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee. And plan the regional:http://www.internationalquidditch.org/southern-regional-championship-2013)I’m also going to be working at this year’s Quidditch World Cup VI as a field manager. (http://www.worldcupquidditch.com/)

What would you do with a million bucks?

Probably buy the word “Quidditch™ ”and related words from Warner Bros so people that have put in countless hours with the International Quidditch Association ( a non profit organization) can finally benefit from being able to be paid for their devotion.

I’d also give the remainder as a scholarship. I know too many people that are so incredibly talented and smart and can’t get money to go to school.

Any extra would probably go to paying for a completely bad ass wedding, with, like, stormtroopers and a squadron of ninjas or something.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

Flight, because then I could grab a broom and pretend you can actually fly in muggle quidditch… Or, you know, save tons of money on gas.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Probably still working for the IQA in some aspect, married, doing something I love and causing havoc for personal enjoyment.

Do you want to attend grad school?

It depends on what I’d like to end up doing.

Are you in love with USFSP?

Here’s a short story, two years ago, I went to Tampa campus. A year later, I came back here, running, screaming and fearing for my life as if the hounds of hell were at my heels. St. Pete will always be my home campus where I’m not a number and I feel like I have a personal relationship with the administration (Hello, Dean Biafora if you’re reading this!)

Should any changes be made to our campus?

There are going to always be some things that need changes, but some things should never change. I am a huge opponent of bringing greek life to this campus, and I feel like if it comes to this campus, we will no longer have that all inclusive feel which makes USFSP incredibly unique. I’m a bigger girl, I’m not stereotypically pretty and I’m not really someone who would be into joining a sorority. If Greek life makes it to this campus, there may be a girl who has all the qualities I do, but wants to join a sorority. Would she be a candidate to be rushed? I worry about the effects of self esteem if a girl were to be asked to rush, but her bigger friend was not. I totally approve of major centered fraternities and sororities, such as the Business, Psych and English groups, but greek life just because? I can’t get behind it. We’re too small of a campus to start exclusion.

Why did you choose to come to our school?

I was actually sent a letter by USF tampa that said “You can be on a wait list, or you can go to USFSP.” I was against the idea originally, because I wanted freedom from living at home, but when I started, I fell head over heels and couldn’t go to another school that wasn’t like ours.

What words do you live by?

• “Our lives are important- at least to us- and as we see, so we learn… Our destiny is in the stars, so let’s go and search for it.” -The First Doctor- Doctor Who episode: The Reign of Terror

• “Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”

Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry’s ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?” –Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

• “You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be!”

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Any shoutouts?

Tavern crew, you know who you are. Quidditch team people, you know who you are.

Kelly Mora-Romero is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus USF St. Petersburg. She was born in Colombia but has lived in the US since 2004. As a Global Business and Marketing major with a minor in Mass Communications, Kelly's dream job is to work in international marketing with a big communications company; traveling is a must! Her biggest inspiration for stories come from local or campus-related news, advise for the every-day life and tips on success. If you wish to contact Campus Correspondent Kelly for article ideas or any comments/concerns/issues at USFSP email at: kellyromero@hercampus.com For any other personal inquiries email: kellyjulieth@mail.usf.edu HCXO