etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

College: a balancing act of late nights cramming for exams, completing mountains of homework, doing well at jobs, partying on weekends – All things to look forward to but not what everyone desires. Some students are able to handle all these activities while also being heavily involved within the campus community.

Shayla Fajardo, a sophomore majoring in Biology here at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, is a prime example of a student who has gone above and beyond to get involved as well as taking on a heavy course load.

Shayla with Rocky 

Shayla has made many smart decisions to propel her into a very successful future here at USFSP and in her community. She admits to becoming way more involved within the school her sophomore year rather than her freshman year at college.

“Freshman year I was involved with one club but that’s it. I attended events frequently but was not as involved as I would have liked to have been, which is why I made up for it this year,” Shayla says.

Freshman year can be overwhelming for any recent high school graduate. It is important to find a role model on campus who you can look up to who will serve as a guide for success.

For Shayla, this person was a fellow student at USFSP.

“I remember my freshman year seeing how involved Sadandre [Jackson] was and how he was still able to make amazing grades and I admired that so much. I knew I wanted to be able to do the same, but freshman year, I didn’t believe in myself much and was too scared. This year came, and I knew I wanted to make a difference. I pushed myself and started joining committees and grasping opportunities that I was once too scared to do,” she says.

Walking into her sophomore year, Shayla took every opportunity to get involved including: serving as a 2016-2017 Week Of Welcome programmer, a traditions committee member for the Harborside Activities Board (HAB), a traditions and cultural committee member for the Multicultural Activities Committee (MAC), a writer for HerCampus, Dance Marathon Marketing Chair, and a student leader at the Office of Leadership and Student Organizations.

But the list does not stop there. Recently, Shayla was named a USF Ambassador and Marketing Director for the Harborside Activities Board here at USFSP.

Speaking on her recent position as a USF Ambassador, she commented, “I decided to become an ambassador because I wanted to go to the next level leadership-wise. I thought it would be a great opportunity for me to get out of my shell and network with others.”

Shayla’s service doesn’t stop at her school. While some college students choose to spend spring break back at home or vacationing at a sunny beach, Shayla chose an alternative spring break trip.

The Office of Leadership and Student Organizations at USFSP offered students an alternative “UN-BULL-IEVABLE Spring Break.” The community outreach program offered students three separate locations to choose from to complete community service work.

Shayla chose to travel to New Orleans, Louisiana to combat home rebuilding and reconstruction. She spent a week helping members of the community who are still being impacted by the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The spring break trip opened her eyes to community service and she hopes to continue helping others in her own community.

“I had such a great time helping make the New Orleans community better for everyone, I wouldn’t have wanted to spend my spring break any other way,” says Shayla.

Handling so much responsibility and schoolwork can be challenging, but Shayla strives to be the best scholar she can be at USFSP.

“Thankfully, the directors that I work with in these committees have a great understanding that academics always come first. I also make sure to do assignments in advance if I know I won’t have time due to events I have to help plan or work at. It can be tough sometimes, but it’s doable,” says Shayla.

Shayla highly encourages others to go out and get involved.

“You make new friends and make great connections with staff. I have seen so much growth in myself already and it wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t put myself out there and got as involved as I am now,” she says.

Shayla with USF President Judy Genshaft

HCXOXO,

Vanessa Rivera

Hey, I'm Vanessa! Im a senior at USFSP majoring in Mass Communications. I hope you enjoy my writing that will be about literally anything and everything. My goal after college is to find a career in the entertainment or music industry. To make that happen, I'm currently planning a big move from sunny Florida to sunny California! Follow me on my journey through my writing, enjoy!
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.