How to manage the stress that comes with finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Feeling the rush of anxiety coming over you? Now that the semester end is near, you begin to panic because it is more than you can handle. College work can be an overload especially when the semester is about to end. Teachers demand more of your time and effort, and the library becomes your second home.

If the final weeks of the semester feels anything like a storm blowing your way, then you could use some tips. These tips provided below can help you manage the stress you might be feeling. Instead of panicking take a look below to find out how to cope with the end of this semester.

1. Clean up: The best thing you can do is keep a clean environment. Wherever you are studying and doing your work make sure it is cleaned up. The worst thing to do is have a messy environment because that only creates more stress. It is proven an unorganized place can affect mood levels.

2. Get organized: Bring out your calanders! Write down all your tests and exams and find free time to study for them. Pick certain days and times to study for certain classes. When you are disorganized everything seems more overwhelming. If you schedule times and dates to study it doesn’t seem as overwhelming.

3. Say “no”: Make sure you have your priorities straight. Learn to say no to the things that are unimportant. Procrastinating will only add to your stress. It just weighs down the pile of work. If you say “no” to procrastination you can accomplish the things you need to do for your classes.

4. Take Breaks: Yes, take a break when studying! Your brain can only take so much information. Don’t try to cram everything in without giving your brain a rest. Your brain becomes tired after so long making it hard to process information. Your brain will shut down and won’t be able to obtain any learning, and then you will be studying for no reason.

5.Don’t forget to sleep: Sleep is probably one of the most important things because if you aren’t well rested it can cause health issues. Your immune system is affected when you don’t get enough sleep. This can increase stress levels.

6. Do what you love: Continue to do what you love during these stressful times. Manage to take some time during your day to relax your mind. Don’t focus your mind on the stress all day long. It is healthy to be in an environment you enjoy. It is guarenteed to relieve your stress.

7. Eliminate distractions: If your a facebook junkie, like most of us are, I would advise you to keep yourself logged out during studying time. Maybe even deactivate your social media during finals week. I know I did that during my finals freshman year and it helped me focus on my work. These social medias are all distractractions that could cause you to procratinate which causes stress.

A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.