A Game Changer’s Mighty Stride: Domonique Gillen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Last year, on the third story of the University Student Center, a Jersey girl frequented an armchair in the corner of the floor lounge and studied vigorously every weekday and night. Her strategy could be described as “all work and no play,” but such a phrase might dismiss the vitality and energy she brings into everything she does. She is always on the grind, which is how she became known as “Dom the Mom” to her peers, for she possesses an authoritative step while also maintaining a compassionate mind and an understanding outlook. With the spirit of a boxing champion, Domonique Gillen treads powerfully in her jazz shoes.

“Gran Sasso, Italy” photo courtesy of Domonique Gillen

… And in her hiking shoes. A South Florida All Star dancer, she has come a long way to pursue her dreams – from New Jersey to France and back to America again.

“I have my father to thank for my traveling adventures. The companies for which he worked sent him all over the world, where he made many great friends and connections. This is why in 2005, when they offered him an expat in France, he accepted it. This is when my days of traveling began,” Domonique said.

Her days of traveling certainly did begin, for she and her family managed to voyage  across France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and parts of Spain in two years’ time.

“We drove to Italy many times due to the fact that it was only a few hours away from our house and my family is from Italy. While most of my traveling occurred during those two years, they haven’t come to an end. The summer after my freshman year of high school, I went back to France with a friend to visit the families that I had come to know during my time there and traveled with them to visit their relatives scattered across the country,” she said.

Perhaps it was her time spent living in France that contributed to her drive to achieve – she went through a challenge here and there.

“The only reason I became fluent in French is because I did not have a choice. When my parents were working out where my brothers and I would attend school, their best option was Rondeau MontFleury, a French private school. The teachers spoke very little English and there was no such thing as exceptions. The first dictation/vocab quiz I failed, they projected on the board and had the kids correct every mistake I made. Sounds kinda cruel for a third grade class, but it worked. I was practically fluent by Christmas that same year. A few other expat kids and kind French kids taught me as best as they could at lunch, and I still keep in contact with those kind souls to this day,” Dom said.

A living testament to the theory of success, she does it all – from dancing on the South Florida All Star team to studying to be a marine biologist, Domonique is a dynamic and resolute figure on our campus; a game changer.

“I am the secretary for the South Florida All Stars Dance Team, which keeps my schedule packed, just how I like it. This year I also might start helping teach the jazz classes which I am both excited and nervous for,” she said.

She dreams of working on a beautiful tropical island as a researcher for a marine laboratory with a vessel. She hopes to discover something that can improve the world we live in, be it through medicine or sustainable materials.

“If you are going to dream, might as well dream big, right?” she replies.

A beautiful dreamer she is and continues to be, Domonique Gillen will also continue to inspire those around her to grow in their stride and hold the world on their shoulders.

… Because if you are going to dream, you might as well be a game changer and dream big; carry yourself with a mighty stride.

Carry yourself like Dom, with one steady yet courageous foot in front of the other towards your dreams.

HC with care,

Megan Hammer

XOXO

Megan Hammer is a junior at USFSP and is majoring in Global Business. She loves to travel, write, and listen to music. She is a musician herself, so she enjoys playing with other musicians in her spare time. An Illinois native, she is interested in experiencing different cultures and trying new things. Some places she has traveled to include Monaco, France, Germany, Italy, and England. Megan is constantly on the lookout for her next great adventure. She dreams of joining a volunteer service organization and giving time to communities in South America or Africa. As President & Campus Correspondent, she proudly represents the USFSP Her Campus chapter.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.