Ed Sheeran Takes Back The World of Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Only a truly talented artist can fall off the face of the earth for two years, drop two new singles from an upcoming album, and set the world on fire- the name of this legend is Ed Sheeran.

Photo Courtesy of Getty Images North America

After Ed Sheeran released his album Multiply he decided to take a break from all social media and Hollywood events to focus solely on his music. During this break he was able to write amazing songs for his new album titled Divide. The two songs that he decided to drop in December are called “Castle on the Hill” and “Shape of You.” These songs are very different from each other, showing a great range of sounds expected to be on the new album.

Releasing these two songs to the world resulted in him becoming the first artist to ever simultaneously debut two songs on Billboard’s top ten. His song “Shape of You” was labeled as the song with the most downloads in a week, taking the spot from Justin Timberlake’s song that was released in May of 2016. Not only did he come back from the dead, but he came back ready to conquer the world of music.

Photo Courtesy of Ed Sheeran

When I first listened to “Castle on the Hill” I wasn’t completely sure how I felt about it. I felt like it was a little too different from what Ed normally did and it didn’t make me super thrilled, but then the chorus came in. Ed Sheeran’s famous and well-loved raspy voice came through and I fell in love. Once I listened to it some more it became clear of how great of a job he did balancing new sounds with his old melodies.

“Shape of You” got me from the moment I heard the beat. It is very fun and different from Ed’s previous songs. His rapping shined through and I couldn’t be more happy with the song. He blessed my ears and heart and the release of these songs were the best thing to happen to me over my Winter break.

Brb while I patiently wait until Ed Sheeran releases the rest of Divide on March 3rd.

HCXOXO,

Shayla Fajardo

Sources:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7661590/ed-sheeran-soars-to-no-1-on-billboard-artist-100

Shayla Fajardo is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg who is majoring in Biology. She enjoys eating unhealthy amounts of pizza, hanging out with friends, binge watching Netflix shows, and attending concerts. A goal of hers has always been to be more involved on campus, so she made sure to actively be involved in three clubs at USFSP- Her Campus, Multicultural Activities Council, and Harborside Activities Board. Shayla's ultimate life goal is to one day become a marine biologist who can travel the world and make a difference.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.