Campus Celebrity: Alicia Caruso

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Alicia Caruso.

Image provided by Alicia Caruso.

Year: Senior

Age: 22

Major: English with a concentration in Literature and Cultural Studies and a Minor in Leadership Studies

What made you choose USFSP?

I chose USFSP because I wanted that small campus feel. I love being on a smaller campus because I actually get to know my professors, faculty, and staff on a more personal level.  The view doesn’t hurt either!

How are you involved on-campus?

I work as a student assistant at the Office of Leadership and Student Organizations, the President of Miracle Dance Marathon, and was part of this year’s Week of Welcome team . I also try to help out at HAB and OMA events when they need extra help.

Can you explain your role in Dance Marathon?

As President of Miracle Dance Marathon I am the liaison between the organization and our Children’s Miracle Network Coordinator at All Children’s Hospital. I’m also in contact with our Children’s Miracle Network Regional Manager in Utah. I also run our board meetings, have one-on-ones with our advisor, and oversee the board members as we plan this year’s event.

What will you miss most about USFSP after graduation?

I’m honestly going to miss everyone I work with and my friends. I consider them my second family, and it’s going to be hard not to see them everyday. They’ve taught me so much about who I am and have helped me grow into the person that I am today.

Advice to freshman about getting involved on campus?

I would say find something you are really interested in and start there. Find a club that fits your interests and join. If clubs aren’t your style find an on-campus job and see where it takes you. I found my passion for Student Affairs in LSO and am now looking to make it into my career.

How did you become so involved on campus?

During my sophomore year, I started working over in SLC Suite 1300. I mainly ran the desk and answered phone calls. During the second semester, Tim told me that Melanie and Anjum needed help in the Leadership office. Once I started working over there I got more involved with helping out with events, and realized how much I loved planning and working them.

What are your plans after graduation?

I want to go to Grad school for Student Affairs. I’m still looking into and applying to schools, but I have it narrowed down to USF, UWF, and FIU.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I see myself working in the Student Affairs field. Maybe as a Coordinator in for First Time in College Student Involvement or a Leadership Office. I hope to be able to inspire my graduate and undergraduate students that college is what you make of it and to take risks on what they’re passionate about, just like everyone I’ve worked with has done for me.

What are some of your hobbies outside of school?

I’m really into reading, music, and baking. Right now, I’ve been enjoying a lot books by female comedians like Mindy Kaling and Grace Helbig. My music choice has always varied from Broadway to Pop. I’m really into the Hamilton soundtrack right now and can’t wait for Adele’s new album to come out. Baking has also been one of my favorite hobbies. I love to make the recipes my mom makes at home and share them with my friends.

What do you do to relax after a long day?

I like to sit back and watch TV, usually some horrible reality show. It helps me take my mind off my busy schedule. I also like to go out on small adventures with my friends. Whether it’s dinner or shopping, it’s nice to get out every once and awhile.

I am a graduate student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg pursuing my Masters in Digital Journalism and Design. I have a strong photography background with expertise in writing, social media, event marketing, and graphic design. Williams can be reached by email at tamiracle@mail.usf.edu.    Life is like a Camera. You focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out you take another shot. ~ unknown
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.