Style > Beauty

#beautybeyondsize Ashley Graham’s new Barbie Doll

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

In February earlier this year, I wrote an article for Her Campus about #TheDollEvolves movement from Barbie. According to Barbie.com, that evolution of Barbie introduced “4 body types, 7 skin tones, 22 eye colors, 24 hairstyles, and countless on-trend fashions and accessories.” This week, something wonderful has happened regarding the Barbie Mattel Company and famous model Ashley Graham. Ashley Graham was given her own Barbie Doll designed to meet her body measurements.

Ashley made waves in the modeling industry back in 2015 when she landed the cover of the Sport’s Illustrated Swimsuit issue as the first plus-sized model to be featured. Not to mention she owns her own lingerie line partnered with the Canadian retailer Addition Elle! Ashley is a role model to women everywhere and she has always been known to be a strong advocate for women who wear a size 14 or larger.

This Barbie doll is great way of teaching children body positivity. It allows the children to love their body and not be ashamed of what they look like. People come in all different shapes and sizes so it doesn’t make sense to create a toy for children that only comes in one shape. This is a fantastic leap for the Mattel Company.

#beautybeyondsize

#thedollevolves

HCXOXO

Alana Long

Link to previous article: http://www.hercampus.com/school/usfsp/thedollevolves

Resources: http://www.forbes.com/sites/karenhua/2016/11/15/ashley-graham-gets-her-own-body-positivity-barbie-doll-glamour-women-of-the-year-awards/#53713efb5d67

Alana is a college Senior with a major in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism and Media Studies and a minor in Art History. Alana was born in raised in Southwest Florida, so she adores the water and beach lifestyle. She loves anything to do with fashion and plans to work as a professional fashion writer or PR professional when she gets out of college. Alana looks forward to writing for the University of South Florida St. Petersburg's chapter of Her Campus all four years of her upcoming college career and is currently a Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for her chapter. When she's not running to and from classes, she loves to go online shopping or watching YouTube videos.