Awkward Moments on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Awkward Moments on CampusWe all know that hesitant, stomach churning, heart dropping, wanting to run away and hid feelings associated with awkward moments. We have all felt them one time or another. Instead of being stuck in those uncomfortable situations without a plan to move forward with your dignity and conscience. Try applying some of these simple tips.Situation 1: Forgetting people’s namesNow, there are several scenarios that you may find yourself in, when you are confronted with a familiar face but are at a loss to remember the associated name. Knowing that I am really bad at remembering names I apply small tricks to assist the trouble I have with this. When I first become acquainted with someone I try to address them directly by name while we are engaged in conversation. For example: “So David, are you originally from the St. Petersburg area?” Although this may sound a little weird, the reoccurring use of the person’s name will help you remember it. An addition trick is name and characteristic association. To clarify, say David shared with you that he is very adventurous, and likes to try stunts that most may consider extreme. You could playfully give him the nickname Daredevil David. By utilizing these tricks you can avoid having to come out and say, “I’m sorry, what is your name again?” This can be important to utilize when going on job/ internship interviews or meeting prominent individuals on campus.Situation 2: Food Face or Out of Place ClothingI am sure everyone can recollect a time when they were in someone’s presence and noticed that they had something stuck in their teeth or that the zipper of their pants was down. Now I know these are strange situations to be in, and you are weighing the options of whether or not to tell them. Just think if you were on the other end of the odd glances, wouldn’t you want someone to tell you? I know I would. You know you have stop paying attention to what they are saying and have become transfixed on the food in their teeth. So although it may be embarrassing for you both, just politely let them know it will make you both feel better.Situation 3: Avoiding SomeoneAttending a college campus allows people to get a feel for people that they enjoy to be around. While also determining which individuals they could probably go without seeing. When you find yourself beginning to take alternate routes to class, talking to strangers to not look alone, or picking up fake phone calls because you don’t want to come in contact with a specific person, it is time to take some real action. If you and this person have parted ways over time or as a result of a specific circumstance let it go. Continue living and find other people to spend your time with. If you are trying to avoid someone that keeps seeking you out you have to confront them. Whether this is someone you went on a bad date with, or you realized you just don’t have anything in common with, be open and honest and tell them. This will be a difficult task but it will save you from more awkward moments. It is not necessary to be aggressive towards them but let them know they you no longer want to be associated with them. If they continue to not get the hint always tell someone you trust to help you deal with the situation. Now if you happen to be the person that someone is trying to avoid be aware of the signs and don’t take it personal. Move on and find someone that has just as much interest to be around you as you desire to be around them.Situation 4: Negative Talk about Friends or ReligionLiving in a country with such freedoms as who we call our friends and what religion we practice, times will come when your choices and practices are not shared by others. If ever you enter a conversation when the name of a good friend comes up in an unpleasant way, speak up on your friend’s behalf. Explain to them that you are a friend of the person that they are talking bad about. Let them know that you don’t appreciate their comments and that you would like them to stop. If this behavior continues you can always disassociate yourself with the individual making the comments. There is no need to get into a confrontation or exchange ugly words. This tip can also be applied in situations of religion. If someone is speaking negatively about your religion don’t be afraid to say something. This may be your opportunity to educate the person on the facts of your beliefs. It could also be a chance for you to invite them to a religious gathering to experience the true essence of your faith. Even if these invitations are rejected at least the person will know where your stand in your beliefs. They will more than likely respect your wishes enough not to speak about your religion in your presence. If you never defend the ones you care about or the beliefs you profess to practice, talk will continue and you will remain to be the sideline watcher. As the saying goes, “If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.”Awkward situations are hard to experience. They involve the feelings of various parties and at times the future of some relationships. I believe it is always best to speak the truth about the things you see and feel. Intentions will be understood and the best will come to pass eventually. Continue growing, speaking, and living. 

Bryana Perkins is a Mass Communications Major at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. She is originally from Philadelphia, PA., but has been living in Florida for ten years. Perkins will soon graduate and hopes to use her writing skills to work for a non-profit organization. She enjoys sports, outdoor activities, arts and crafts, and spending time with her family and friends. Her favorite topics to write about are people and community. Perkins hopes her desire to write will impact people's lives in a positive.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.