Annie Schneider: The Path to becoming an RA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Photo provided by Annie Schneider

There are not many people that constantly have a bright aura surrounding them like Annie Schneider does. If anyone was destined for the job of becoming an RA, it would be Annie. Here is her journey of what being chosen to become an RA was like.

Annie is a freshman majoring in Interdisciplinary Social Science (ISS) and minoring in leadership. When asked how her experience with leadership correlates with becoming an RA, Annie mentioned how she sees her relationship with the students living on her floor, not only teaching them, but also learning from them in return.

“I’m basically being paid to be a role model and a friend, but also knowing how to balance with being an authoritative figure is an important part of this job,” Annie said.

Annie also talked about her inspiration for becoming an RA being drawn from Dr. Gardiner Tuck, the Interim Regional Associate Vice Chancellor. She said their conversations about the process and his advice for her to go for it and become one were a driving factor in her decision to apply.  The RA’s are still in the early stages of training, but they have started to become acquainted as a group by playing ice breakers to get to know each other and other team building exercises.

In the upcoming fall semester, Annie will be the RA on the fifth floor of the USC (University Student Center) for the Leadership Living and Learning Community (which she will have previously lived in as a freshman in the program).

Hayley Nicole Garron is a student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, currently majoring in Journalism. She has passions of reading, writing, playing soccer, shopping, and doing things for others, and she aspires to to gain her fame by creating a novel so amazing you won't want to put it down. In her spare time, she can be found watching YouTube videos, writing her blog, "This is why I'm Haute," or trying new DIY's found on pinterest. USFSP has been a great influence to help her find more of herself in growing up.
Alana is a college Senior with a major in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism and Media Studies and a minor in Art History. Alana was born in raised in Southwest Florida, so she adores the water and beach lifestyle. She loves anything to do with fashion and plans to work as a professional fashion writer or PR professional when she gets out of college. Alana looks forward to writing for the University of South Florida St. Petersburg's chapter of Her Campus all four years of her upcoming college career and is currently a Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for her chapter. When she's not running to and from classes, she loves to go online shopping or watching YouTube videos.