THROWBACK THURSDAY: Old School Rap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Rap holds a special place in my heart, especially if it’s old school. I find that as the years go by, the less meaningful the words in this genre become. Lately, I’ve been in a phase were all I want to do is listen to old school hits. If you’ve never found yourself listening to old school jams before, or it’s been a long time since you have done it, go ahead and listen to some of the songs you can remember from back in the day and see how they inspire you. There are a ton of songs that I have been hooked on lately, but I wanted to give you collegiettesmy 12 current favorites. I hope you take the time out to listen to some of them, even if rap isn’t something you tune into often. Who knows, you might actually like one or two of these songs. Enjoy!

1. Tha Crossroads – Bone Thugs N Harmony
  2. Nuthin But A “G” Thang – Dr. Dre
  3. It’s Like That –  Run – D.M.C.
  4. Juicy – Notorious B.I.G.
  5. Rock the Bells – LL Cool J
  6. I’ll Be There for You/You’re All I Need – Method Man w/ Mary J. Blige
  7. One Mic – Nad
  8. Ms. Jackson – Outkast
  9. Summertime – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
  10. Hard Knock Life – Jay Z
  11. Dear Mama- 2 Pac
  12. O.P.P. – Naughty By Nature
I am a senior at the University of South Florida. I am majoring in advertising. My favorite things are beauty, fashion, entertainment, food and travel.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.