Music Monday: Slow Vibes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The leaves are changing, the wind is blowing, and people are starting to wear long sleeves. Neutral colors, boots and scarves are now appropriate to wear and you can basically get pumpkin spice flavored anything. With this change in weather and fashion comes a different taste in music as well. Instead of your usual “turn down for what” party music you’ll see peoples taste goes more towards more soothing acoustic indie sounds rather than electronic, upbeat songs. We are finding ourselves in the midst of the fall season.

With the fall season’s change in music, check out these two female vocalists that are becoming popular with their slow vibing tunes.

Jhene Aiko

Jhene Aiko is a 26 year old American singer-songwriter from Los Angeles, California. She is most known for her smooth and sultry tones in R&B. Aiko has two albums, sailing souls and an album that came out recently on Sept. 9 called Souled Out. Her voice has been described as soft and sensual as well as sexy and aloof. She has been compared to R&B female vocalists such as Cassie, Brandy, Cierra and Aliyah.

She is associated with a new style of music called PBR&B (R-Neg-B, hipster R&B and alternative R&B) and she noted her own style as being a “new generation of R&B.” Jhene Aiko is a nice alternative to your typical poppy summertime music, if you’re looking for time around a fire with a significant other or a cozy get together with some friends.

Jasmine van den Bogaerde

Jasmine van den Bogaerde, better known as Birdy, is an 18 year old English singer-songwriter as well as pianist and guitarist. She is known for her cover of Bon Iver’s song, “Skinny Love”. Birdy has made most of her fame by doing cover songs, such as “The A team” by Ed Sheeran and “Shelter” by The XX.

In 2013, Birdy released an album called “Fire Within” and was featured in movies such as “The Hunger Games”, “The Fault in Our Stars” and “Brave”. Birdy’s style is indie folk with acoustic tones and slow beats. Her voice is similar to a mixture of Lorde and Christina Perry. Her music is perfect for studying for all of those final exams coming up and snuggling up to read a book.

These two female vocalists are in two different genres of music, but they both offer smooth and sensual slow tunes. Both women are in a new wave of music for their genre. Their aloof and sexy tones combined with intelligent and witty lyrics are changing the way women in music are being viewed.

Senior at University of South Florida, majoring in Mass Communications with a focus on broadcasting and a minor in political science.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.