How Virtual Reality Is Changing Our Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Virtual reality is becoming more mainstream as the technology advances.  Did you ever dream that you could tour the MoMA in New York or visualize a crime scene from a jury bench, all with a pair of goggles?  Some of the things that virtual reality is changing are:

1. Medical school practice

Students in dental school can practice drilling and cleaning on virtual patients.  A program known as the Virtual Dental Implant Training Simulation Program allows students to work through an entire dental procedure.

Additionally, students in medical school can practice surgery on virtual reality patients.  Such a practice enables the students to perform an entire surgery without touching another person.

2.  Museum tours

Put on your goggles and tour the Louvre from your couch!  Museums around the world are collaborating with virtual reality developers to allow people to “visit” the museums, sans the expensive plane ticket.  In the last year, both the British Museum and the Museum of Natural History made parts of their collections available to VR users.

3.  Online shopping

Shop till you drop…right back into bed!  Virtual reality is changing the online shopping experience, allowing patrons to shop in virtual stores.  The future is now: no more mall traffic, no more waiting in line; just browsing and buying without ever leaving the comfort of home.  The popular online store ASOS partnered with the app Trillenium to soon bring shoppers their favorite products via VR.

4.  Juror education

Gone are the days of juries visualizing a crime scene based on still photos and conflicting testimonies. Virtual reality makes it easier for jurors to “see” what happened at a crime scene, thus enabling them to vote more accurately as to the guilt or innocence of the defendant.

Do you think virtual reality is the way of the future? What is your favorite application of this technology?

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.