First Timer’s Guide To The Florida Strawberry Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

The aroma of fried fair foods, the sounds of headline entertainment and the bright lights of the Farris wheel will fill the Florida Strawberry Festival from March 2 – 12, 2017. Located just 30 minutes east of USF, Plant City is home to this celebration of the harvest of the shiny red fruit. There are rides and games, lots of food and free entertainment around every corner.

As a Plant City native, I thought who better than to give you a guide to visiting the Florida Strawberry Festival:

1.Save money and purchase your tickets at Publix

The Florida Strawberry Festival has partnered with Publix Supermarkets to offer discounted festival admission tickets. Visit your local Publix’s customer service counter and ask for tickets to the Florida Strawberry Festival. When you purchase from Publix, each ticket is $8.00 versus the $10.00 general admission price at the gate.

2.Remember where you parked your car

There are limited parking lots at the Florida Strawberry Festival and parking can range anywhere from $5 to as high as $15. Most festival-goers pay homeowners who live near the fairgrounds to park in their lawn. *Expert tip: ask the homeowner for their address so you can find your car later or take a picture of the street sign with your smartphone.

There is also parking available at Bryan Elementary School, which is across the street on Oak Avenue from the fairgrounds. The money raised at the elementary school goes back directly to the teacher’s classrooms. It’s a great way to give back to the community.

Another option is to park at the Tomlin Middle School agriculture fields. Again, money raised from parking cars goes back to Tomlin’s FFA program. The middle school is also close to the entrance gates.

3.Go to a concert at the Wish Farms Sound Stage

While the Florida Strawberry Festival is known for the harvest of the berries, it’s also known for bringing big name entertainment to the tiny town. In the past, big name stars such as Blake Shelton, Taylor Swift and John Legend graced the Wish Farms Sound Stage. “One of my favorite Festival memories was when Taylor Swift came and performed,” said Kelsey Fry, 2013 Florida Strawberry Festival Queen. “The Festival does a great job of getting big-name performers to grace the Wish Farms Sound Stage.” This year, country music legend Willie Nelson will perform Friday, March 3 at 3:30 p.m. See the Red-Headed Stranger and “Trigger,” his guitar, take the stage for $40. Friday, March 10 at 7:30 p.m., Elle King will perform her Grammy-nominated hit “Ex’s & Oh’s.” Tickets to see King are $20.

Can’t get tickets? Don’t worry! The Florida Strawberry Festival offers free seats in the Morrow Steel Free Grandstands.

4.Head straight to the Neighborhood Village and the Pig Races!

Ask for a map when you enter the fairgrounds and head straight to the Neighborhood Village! Florida Strawberry Festival secretary and Young Professional Initiative (YPI) member, Kelsey Bridges says, “Here, patrons will get to know the history behind the 82 FABULOUS years of celebrating the harvest.” Exhibits are on display, where festival-goers can learn about the festival’s humble beginnings and how it’s evolved into what it is today. Take a stroll through the Queen’s exhibit to learn about the Florida Strawberry Festival’s royal past.

Bridges then suggests visiting the racing pigs. “Walk outside the south end of our Neighborhood Village building and cheer on racing pigs!” Robinson’s Racing Pigs are a Strawberry Festival favorite, where the porkers will race to the finish line as fast as they can.

5.Release your inner child

While the Florida Strawberry Festival is known for none other than its delicious red berries, the Festival offers a midway full of rides and games. The Midway has a Farris wheel, spinning strawberries and many games. You can even win a pet! In the Midway, you can throw ping pong balls into small glass dishes. Land a bouncing ball into a dish and you will a goldfish! Who doesn’t want a new pet?

6.You MUST eat as many strawberries as possible!

In the middle of the Parke Exhibit Building, St. Clement’s Catholic Church hosts the Make Your Own Strawberry Shortcake booth! 2011 Florida Strawberry Festival Queen Victoria Watkins Sgro suggests how to build the ultimate strawberry shortcake. Sgro says, “I love a light and fluffy cake, drowning in berries and ‘sauce,’ with a ridiculous amount of Cool Whip, and a pretty berry to garnish.” After you’ve piled on the berries and whipped topping, an attendant will garnish your creation with a fresh strawberry. Strawberry shortcake is the crowning jewel of the Florida Strawberry Festival and it’s world-famous!

If you’re a foodie looking for other berry treats, check out the Strawberry Cheesecake from the Plant City High School Band Boosters, under the free grandstands at the Wish Farm Soundstage. Another popular food stop is The Amish Baking Company. Ask for “The Sweetheart,” an Amish donut covered in hot fudge, topped with Plant City strawberries and whipped cream.

The Florida Strawberry Festival has something for everyone to enjoy! Round up your friends and check it out before it’s gone.

If you go:

The Florida Strawberry Festival is open Thursday, March 2, 2017 through Sunday, March 12, 2017 from 10 a.m. daily until close at 10 p.m. Use the hashtag #berryfest17 to share your photos social media. The Florida Strawberry Festival is located at: 303 N. Lemon Street, Plant City, FL 33563

I began at Her Campus USF as a writer in Spring 2017. Then, served as Senior Editor in Fall 2017 and currently serve as the Editor-in-Chief. I am passionate about writing, social media, and graphic design. I am a portrait photographer and a self-proclaimed makeup junkie. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @cc_red13 to connect!
I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.