Feminine Friday: Superwoman or Mayim Bialik?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Hollywood actress, mother, activist, feminist, traditional Jew, vegan, author and neuroscientist. Trying to imagine balancing a life so full seems incredible, but the lovely Mayim Bialik is able to balance it all.

You would most likely recognize Mayim from her role as Amy Farrah Fowler from the hit CBS show, The Big Bang Theory. While a role on a hit television show might seem like enough work for some, Mayim has hardly started her day.  She is the mother of two young boys, and despite harsh criticism is a proponent for breastfeeding and attachment parenting.  Mayim’s role as mother will always come first to her, as evidenced by her writing a book on her parenting beliefs entitled: Beyond the Sling.

“Beyond the Sling” is not the only book Bialik has penned. Mayim gradually became a vegan, starting when she was 19. She recognized her love of animals and educated herself to the process slowly, in order to maintain a healthy eating lifestyle. Mayim shares her love of vegan cooking in her cookbook, Mayim’s Vegan Table.

Mayim shares her activism through her books, of which she is qualified to write.  Bialik is highly educated, with a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from UCLA. Some might note the irony of Mayim being a real life neuroscience, while acting as a neurobiologist on The Big Bang Theory.  In fact, Mayim opted to return to acting after completing her degree because she found the schedule of an actress to be more flexible and allow her to spend more time with her children than the life of a research professor.

Bialik is an underrated Hollywood actress.  As a well rounded individual, Mayim serves as an excellent role model for girls of all ages.  She makes it clear that being a female is not a handicap. Mayim is a highly successful individual. She entered into the STEM field with ease, but also made the executive decision to put being a mother first.  

Mayim treats her life like a balancing act.  Between writing, acting, raising her children, and devoutly practicing her faith, Mayim is someone we should all look up to and appreciate.  A true positive female role model.

Photo Credits:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111225141719/bigbangtheory/images/5…

I am a sophomore Elementary Education major at USF! My ultimate goal is to teach abroad after I graduate and make quality education more accessible. Otherwise, I am a vegetarian, beginner yogi, curly haired girl who enjoys laughing at her own jokes.
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.