5 Reasons You Should Make the First Move

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

We’ve all been there… we see a guy, talk for awhile, but then nothing ever happens because we’re waiting around for the guy to ask us out. Why are we waiting around when we could just ask them?! Sure, it may be terrifying and like the perfect set-up for embarrassment, but being the one to make the first move has its benefits. Here is why you should be bold and make the first move:

1. He’s more nervous than you.

Guys may act all macho when they saunter up to you and ask for your number, but moments before hand they were freaking out hoping and praying to not get rejected. As a gorgeous woman, you should take control of the situation and just ask him! Sure, it may seem scary but the fact that a beautiful girl is even approaching him will have him swooning before you even say “Hello”.

2. He’ll know you like him.

As girls we can be rather misleading when it comes to letting guys know we like them. Trying to be coy yet flirty often gives guys the misinterpretation that we are just being friendly and they won’t ask us out because they are unsure. Making the first move will let the guy know for sure that you are interested and chances are he will be too! Cut the coyness and ask your guy out!

3. Why wait?

Lets take a moment and think about what we really have to lose…not that much. If embarrassment gets in your way just remember that it only seems life ending to you, he was probably really complimented by the fact you wanted to go out and doesn’t think it was that big of a deal. We are young, independent women and should take charge of the moment, so go for it!

4. You can make the plans.

How many times have you made plans with a guy that was vague and ended up falling apart? Asking a guy out first puts you in the position to make the plans, all details included! You’ll have the chance to go exactly where you want and when and all he has to do is say yes.

5. Confidence is sexy!

Being the first one to make a move radiates confidence, and confidence is sexy! Guys love a confident woman who can take charge and doesn’t worry about getting embarrassed. Plus, it will make you feel empowered and fierce. 

Sydjea Watson is from the beautiful island of Jamaica. She graduated from the University of South Florida with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. Sydjea has a passion and great appreciation for the arts. She currently works as a freelance photographer while pursuing a photography certification at Rhode Island School of Design.