2017 Oscars: The Most Diverse Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Many African American actors were outraged with the list of nominees for the 2016 Academy Awards. The past two years no African American has been nominated for a single Oscar.

This year, actors can celebrate speaking out and making a difference. African Americans take up a total of nine nominations at this years Oscar’s. While this still is a minority, the progress is undeniable.

The first person to take a stand on this situation was Jada Pinkett Smith. “At the Oscar’s … people of color are always welcomed to give out awards … even entertain,” Pinkett Smith said. “But we are rarely recognized for our artistic accomplishments.” 

It’s interesting to see how even the people we look up to still endure complications in their careers. Many of them disliked the boycott of the Oscars in 2016. While being interviewed in the Norton Show, Ice Cube explained that actors do their job for the fans. They don’t go into acting for the industry, it’s about the people who enjoyed the movie or not. Many actors made back and forth arguments but at the end of the day the Academy Awards nominated for a more diverse list.

This year the list of African American nominees for the 2017 Academy Awards are as followed:

Best Actor

Denzel Washington Fences

Best Actress in a leading role

Ruth Negga Loving

Best Actor in a Supporting role

Mahershala Ali Moonlight

Best Supporting Actress

Viola Davis Fences

Naomi Harris Moonlight

Octavia Spencer Hidden Figures

Best Cinematographer

Bradford Young Moonlight

Film Editing

Joi Mcmillon Moonlight

Best Documentary Feature

Ava Duvernay 13th\

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.