10 Sweet Treats You Didn’t Know Were Vegan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: Girl Scout cookie season. This time of year can make being vegan a challenge when you’re surrounded by carmelly Samoas and peanut-buttery Tagalongs. But there are several Girl Scout cookie varieties that are cruelty-free, and plenty of other sweet snacks that you can find in the grocery store all year long!

Okay but first, what does it mean to be vegan? A vegan diet means that you don’t consume any animal products: no meat, no milk, and yeah, no cheese. While this can seem overwhelming and impossible, it’s very doable if it’s something you really care about and want to do. Plus, it’s good for the planet and you!

Even if you’re not vegan, some of your favorite snacks might be. Many products are “accidentally” vegan, meaning that they don’t contain animal products but aren’t specifically marketed to vegans, according to peta.org.

So here are 10 snacks to satisfy even the biggest vegan (or non-vegan!) sweet tooth:

1.Thin Mints/7-11 Fudge Mint cookies

Try the 7-11 cookies when the Thin Mints run out.

2.Trader Joe’s peanut butter pretzels

3.Sour Patch Kids AND Sour Patch Watermelon

4.Oreos

Only some flavors are cruelty-free; stick with the original flavor to be safe, or check the ingredients list.

5.Nutter Butters

6.Annie’s chocolate chip Bunny Grahams

Just like the Teddy Grahams you used to love when you were little.

7.Unfrosted Pop-Tarts

8.Ben & Jerry’s non-dairy ice cream

9.Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch

With almond, cashew or soy milk

10.Smarties

Be careful–only the ones made in the US are vegan!

Do you have any tips or tricks for being vegan? Do you have questions about what that means? Let me know in the comments!

Morgan is a senior studying Mass Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in English at USF. She also writes for WUSF News 89.7, The Oracle, CollegeFashionista, and USF PRSSA's blog.
I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.