SCampus Cutie: John Houselog – Jack of All Trades

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Year: Freshman – Class of 2014
Relationship Status: Single
Hometown: Thousand Oaks, CA
Dorm: Parkside IRC
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Activities: Camping, theatre, magic, fencing
Interests: Philosophy, metaphysics, engineering
Why He’s Our Campus Cutie: He’s multi-talented in a variety of fields!

This cutie has quite a few tricks up his sleeve – read on to learn more!

HC: So how has your first year at SC been so far?

John: It’s been good – meeting people and getting to college, basically getting out of high school. The bad things? The death of Four Loko.

HC: We’ve heard great tales about your magicianship. Tell us how you got into magic.

John: There’s a few ways I could go on about answering that. One is that a Magic Club started my first year of high school and it just stuck. The other is that usually people have a reason for getting into magic. Mine was to win at every single card game I every played. I wanted to know how to cheat at cards.

HC: So, how well do you cheat at cards?

John: I plead the fifth!

HC: Haha, alright, tell us about how you got into the Magic Castle.

John: The Magic Castle holds auditions two times a year. My sophomore year in high school, my mentor and I talked about me auditioning in March. Not a lot of people get in on their first try but I thought why not, I’ll try. By February, I had a loose idea of what I wanted to do. I worked on a routine. I also toured colleges around this time, finished creating my routine, flew in, and I had my audition the next day. The airlines also lost my luggage but thankfully all I needed to buy was a deck of cards. I had everything else. I auditioned and got accepted on my first try.

HC: That’s amazing! How did that feel?

John: I remember reading the letter of acceptance and smiling.

HC: How are you involved with the magic world now?

John: I go to the Castle once a month for lectures and workshops with professionals in the field. I’m definitely involved and stay in touch.

HC: How has magic helped you?

John: I definitely wrote about it in my college essays. I said something to the effect that engineers have to learn new tricks.

HC: We also hear you’re involved in the fencing club. Tell us about that.

John: It’s pretty cool so far. We practice, go a lot of warm ups, hit each other with swords, and then at competitions we get to hit others with swords.

HC: Your interests seem to be varied. What’s this we hear about you possibly also majoring in philosophy?

John: I’ve always been interested in reading and thinking about philosophy. Nietzschean perspectivism, classical liberalism…the list goes on and on.

HC: As if you weren’t already cool enough, you were also an Eagle Scout. Tell us about that.

John: For my Eagle Scout Project, I filmed WWII veterans. I also hiked 140 miles in ten days. I can start a fire, pitch a tent, build a shelter, and use a gun.

HC: So in the event of a zombie outbreak, you’d be good to know.

John: Yes, unless I become a zombie myself.

HC: Anything else you’d like to add?

John: Remember, remember the fifth of November.

Merisenda Bills is a senior majoring in Broadcast and Digital Journalism at USC. She is double minoring in Digital Studies and Interactive Media and the Culture of New Technologies. She is also in the Honors in Multimedia Scholarship Program. She has a passion for writing, photography, and all things multimedia and hopes to find a job doing these things when she graduates college. When she's not running around working on a story, she's doing crafty things like crocheting and painting. She lives her life to the fullest without regrets.