Good Karma Cafe: Vegetarian Food at USC!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

If you’re like me, you haven’t fully committed to becoming a vegetarian but you still want to eat healthier. When I saw flyers advertising a “pure vegetarian lunch service” at the Good Karma Café, I couldn’t help but be intrigued.

The Good Karma Café runs every Wednesday and Thursday from 12 to 2 p.m. at the United University Church courtyard. A seven dollar donation gets you an all-you-can-eat organic meal. Wednesdays is Indian food and Thursdays is Italian. I’ve only been able to go on Thursdays. Here’s what’s offered on that day:

• Macaroni pasta with homemade tomato and basil marinara
  • Organic spring mix with Divya’s almond dressing
  • Chocolate-Pecan Halava
  • Fresh Persian Limemade – hand-squeezed, local and organic

Varun Soni, the Dean of Religious Life, came up with the idea for the café. Last year there were about 1,000 students who signed a petition for more vegetarian options on campus. The café serves their needs as well as Hindu and Indian students, who also have dietary restrictions. USC doesn’t offer very many vegetarian options, or healthy options for that matter. Sure, there are salad bars in the dining halls but as many students at the café said, that gets old fast.

Vina Vo, a junior, said she isn’t vegetarian but was surprised by how good the food at the Café was. She said it was a lot better than eating on campus: “When you eat at the dining halls, it doesn’t feel very nutritious or tasty even.”

Lauren Maldonado, a junior, is a vegetarian and says she and her roommates usually have to cook their own meals because of the lack of options on campus. She says the Good Karma Café is “definitely a good new addition to dining at USC.”

Sarvatma Das is the cook and comes all the way from Santa Barbara to prepare the meals from scratch. He is famous for his almond-based salad dressing which students and faculty are raving about. Soni says they joke about getting IV drips for the salad dressing – it’s that good. The recipes have been perfected over hundreds of generations, says Das. He also says seeing people enjoy his food and having a good time is enough to satisfy his own hunger. Part of the reason he comes to USC is because he believes all students should have access to “healthy, sanctified food.”

The food isn’t the only thing to enjoy at the Good Karma Café. A lot of people say the ambience is welcoming and there’s a general feeling of community. People can come and relax in the courtyard, which is a neat little nook at the bottom of the church stairs.

Customer Roberto Blain said it’s like a “little secret garden.” The courtyard is in the shade, there are vines all over the stone walls, and there’s even a small fountain running. Everything’s a lot more peaceful compared to busy, hectic life on campus. 

I’ve been there a few times and it seems like every time there are more people. It’s nice to know that students have easy access to healthier food now. Even if you’re not a vegetarian, the café is definitely worth checking out. The café advertises primarily through word-of-mouth so if you do go, be sure to tell your friends about it!

Merisenda Bills is a senior majoring in Broadcast and Digital Journalism at USC. She is double minoring in Digital Studies and Interactive Media and the Culture of New Technologies. She is also in the Honors in Multimedia Scholarship Program. She has a passion for writing, photography, and all things multimedia and hopes to find a job doing these things when she graduates college. When she's not running around working on a story, she's doing crafty things like crocheting and painting. She lives her life to the fullest without regrets.