Five Los Angeles Restaurants You Need to Visit Before You Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

RED O
With menus created by Rick Bayless, winner of 2009’s “Top Chef Masters” and owner of some of the most successful Mexican restaurants in the United States, RED O is the perfect place for a fancy night out. Go here to celebrate an anniversary, a birthday, or any other special occasion. Here’s your chance to break out a nice dress and heels. Keep your eyes open for a celebrity sighting: Tyra Banks, Jessica Simpson, Nicky Hilton and Stanley Tucci have all been spotted here.

I recommend:

• Trio sampling of Albacore, Baja Yellowtail and Ahi Tuna Ceviches
  • Sweet Plantain sopes with thick cream and queso anejo (this is on the dinner menu, but it’s great for a not-too-sweet dessert!)
  • Sonoma County Lamb soft tacos in Chile Colorado (guajillo chiles, roasted garlic, cumin and black beans)
  • For the 21+ crowd, try the “La Dama” cocktail. It features Tres Agaves Reposado tequila, serrano chile, mango grenadine, lime juice, a drizzle of pomegranate liqueur. It’s even garnished with fresh pomegranate seeds. It has a spicy kick from the serranos, but you can still taste the sweetness of the mango and pomegranate!

Price range: $$$$
8155 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046
http://www.redorestaurant.com/
Distance from USC’s campus: about 20 minutes

Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles
Even President Obama loves Roscoe’s. An LA classic since 1975, Roscoe’s features the original combination of southern-style fried chicken with made-from-scratch pancakes. If you’re not a chicken and waffles kind of girl, the restaurant also offers chicken with biscuits and grits, a Chef’s Salad and several varieties of chicken sandwiches.

I recommend:

• #1: Scoe’s: ¼ chicken prepared southern-style and two waffles.
  • If you’re feeling extra-hungry, order a side of collard greens (make sure to douse them liberally in spicy vinegar) or some Mac and Cheese. Roscoe’s offers three specialty drinks: the Sunset, Lisa’s Delight and the Sunrise. I highly recommend any of the three, but the Sunset (lemonade and fruit punch) is especially delicious. 

Price range: $
Locations in Hollywood, Los Angeles, Long Beach and Pasadena.
http://roscoeschickenandwaffles.com/
Distance from USC’s Campus (Pico Blvd location): about 15 minutes

Santino’s Panineria
In the midst of the cultural experience that is Venice Beach, you can score a delicious meal with fresh ingredients and a place to relax at Santino’s. The restaurant itself is pretty small – it only has a few tables – but that allows for a more personal dining experience. Santino’s has another location in Santa Monica, but it fits in so well with the atmosphere at Venice, it’s hard to imagine going somewhere else. Make a day trip out of your visit to Santino’s, wander the boardwalk and take in the sights (and smells) of Venice Beach.

I recommend:

• Beef and Chicken Empanadas
  • Choripan Panini (with Argentinian sausage, chimichuri and cheese)
  • Napolitana with Veal, topped with ham and marinara sauce

Price range: $$
Venice location:
1611 Pacific Avenue
Venice Beach, CA 90291
http://www.santinosvenice.com/
Distance from USC’s Campus: about 30 minutes

The Golden State
If you’re looking for a great burger in LA, look no further than The Golden State. This place may even put In-N-Out to shame! It’s cozy and welcoming, the staff is helpful and fun and the food is of the highest quality. The Golden State is pretty casual – don’t be afraid to show up in jeans and a tee. If you’re not in the mood for a cheeseburger, try a grilled chicken breast sandwich, a Spicy Dog or the California Greek Salad.

I recommend:

• The Burger. A classic with a twist, The Burger is made with Harris Ranch beef, Fiscalini Farms cheddar cheese, glazed applewood smoked bacon, arugula, aioli and ketchup. Fried sweet potato wedges are a perfect compliment.
  • To drink, try The Golden State’s House Minted Lemonade. With just a tiny hint of mint, this lemonade is a light, refreshing way to wash down the huge burger.

Price range: $$
426 North Fairfax Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 900036
http://www.thegoldenstatecafe.com/
Distance from USC’s Campus: about 20 minutes

Baby Blue’s BBQ West Hollywood
This barbecue is the real deal. Trust me, I’m a Southerner. Baby Blues has a perfectly relaxed atmosphere, even though it’s in the middle of the action on Santa Monica Boulevard. Go early, take a walk around WeHo and then settle down to a feast. This must be one of the few places in Los Angeles where one can order truly delicious fried okra. For all the vegetarians out there, don’t worry, Baby Blue’s offers Fried Green Tomatoes and Salads.

I recommend:

• The Carolina-style Pulled Pork Sandwich, topped with coleslaw
  • “Fixins”: fried okra, mac and cheese or creamed spinach.
  • Their sweet tea is perfect, but the red Kool Aid is even better.

Price: $$$
7953 Santa Monica Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90046
http://babyblueswh.com

—-

Mary Bryce Hargis is a sophomore at the University of Southern California   majoring in Cognitive Science. After graduation, she wants to combine her   two passions, psychology and law, into one high-powered career as a        Trial Consultant. She’s a transfer student from George Washington      University in Washington, D.C., which she decided was entirely too cold    for her. She enjoys taking advantage of the balmy Los Angeles weather with trips to Venice Beach, Topanga Canyon, and the Griffith Observatory. Born and raised in North Carolina, Mary Bryce is a southern girl at heart, but she has been majorly influenced by the Best Coast. In her free time, she likes to eat chocolate, watch True Blood, tweet, and go to USC Football games. 

Mary Higgins is a junior at USC majoring in Cognitive Science and minoring in Psychology and Law. She's originally from North Carolina (and will always be a southern girl), but she can't get enough of the Southern California sunshine. She enjoys sweet tea with lemon, working on her first original research project in social neuroscience, Trojan Football, and watching videos of baby elephants.
After crawling around Honolulu, Hawaii as a toddler, exploring various cultures in Singapore as an elementary schooler, and roaming the exciting streets of Seoul, Korea as a teenager, Nicole finally made her way to the University of Southern California. Currently a junior Communication major, she's still trying to figure out what exactly it is she wants to do, but is looking to someday be involved with a career that will allow her to incorporate her love for writing, fashion, and the entertainment business. In her downtime, she loves to read blogs, eat sweets, embrace her inner shopaholic, watch movies, swoon over Mad Men, and laugh it up with her friends.