Bachelor Play by Play

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

The Bachelor Play-by-Play

Everything you need to know about this seasons The Bachelor!

Episode 1: 28 girls – fighting for a first impression

28 women battled to stand out to Bachelor Ben Higgins by using props, living animals, costumes, and other…things. Although no giant eggs made an appearance this season (not to mention any names…Travis Pope from season 8), here are some of the less giant but equally weird first impressions of the season:

·      Maegan brought her pony…and it stayed for the cocktail party.

·      JoJo wore a unicorn head… why?

·      Jackie gave Ben a “save the date” card…yes, for their future wedding.

·      Isabel wore a pajama onesie all night…at least she was comfy.

·      Breanne gifted Ben a breadbasket…carb up!

·      Lauren R. admitted to stalking Ben on social media for 2 months…yikes.

Although all of these first impressions were superb, Mandi knocked it out of the park, or garden, as she exited the limo with a giant rose mounted on her head. Nailed it. Unfortunately for Mandi, Ben gave the first impression rose to Olivia, who did none of the above.

Eliminated: Maegan, Isabel, Breanne, Lauren R. (check above list)

Also eliminated: Tiara, Laura, Jessica (who?)

Episode 2: 21 girls – dates begin

10 girls competed at a local high school in different “subjects.” The women were paired in teams and participated in a series of challenges including bobbing for apples and locating states on a blank map. Mandi (yes, rose head) and Amber were the finalists. In the final challenge, the women raced over hurdles to win Ben’s heart and Mandi came out with a victorious lead. Her prize: a ride around the track in a golf cart with Ben. Unfortunately for Mandi, Ben gave the group date rose to JoJo.

In another group date, 6 women completed a compatibility test to find out who is the most “compatible” with Ben. The test wasn’t just a scantron test – please, this is the Bachelor – real science was involved. For instance, the women had to run on treadmills and Ben had to sniff them, post-jog, to see if he was attracted to their body odor. After a series of equally intriguing tests, Olivia was the most compatible with Ben and received the group date rose (I guess she smells nice).  

Ben’s 1-on-1 date this week was with Caila, but was it really a 1-on-1 if Kevin Hart and Ice Cube joined? Regardless, Caila got a rose.

Eliminated: Lauren Barr (LB) (offered a rose but did not accept it), Sam, Jackie, Mandi (sorry, Mandi)

Episode 3: 17 girls – the Bachelor visits USC

12 women had the opportunity to play soccer in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, home of Trojan football (fight on). As if a visit to USC was not enough, Alex Morgan and Kelly O’Hara from the US Women’s National Soccer Team taught the women a thing or two about soccer. Amber received the group date rose.

Ben had two 1-on-1 dates in episode 3. The first was with Lauren B. Their date was a casual trip to Malibu on a plane. The second was with Jubilee. All of the flying and soccer playing made Ben a little tense, so they visited a spa in San Diego. Both women got roses on their dates. Nonetheless, not all was rainbows and butterflies for Ben. A contestant named Lace had constantly caused problems, as she got a little too drunk at cocktail parties and bickered with Ben. Lace decided to leave during this cocktail party to focus on herself – good for you Lace.

Eliminated: Lace (left on her own), Shushanna, Jami

Episode 4: 14 girls – can’t have 2 for the price of 1

With half of the women eliminated, the remaining took a trip to Vegas. The group date, done Vegas style, happened at a Terry Fator show (ventriloquist/comedian/singer?). All 12 women performed an original talent for Ben and for Fator’s audience. The audience was stunned when:

·      Lauren H. wore a chicken suit…she also sang “Old MacDonald.”

·      Leah wore a clown costume while jumping on a pogo stick…Ben threw M&M’s at her (hopefully it was planned).

·      Olivia jumped out of a cake…that’s it. That’s all she did.

Lauren B.’s juggling act won her Ben and the group date rose.

Both JoJo and Becca got 1-on-1 dates with Ben. JoJo enjoyed a helicopter ride and fireworks, while Becca wore a wedding dress and helped marry couples (Ben got ordained for this date, if you were wondering). Ben gave both women roses. While in Vegas, the hometown of twins Emily and Haley, Ben figured it was time to let one go. After visiting their mother, Ben decided Haley, the quieter of the twins, was not his future wife. She was sent home and Emily continued on.

Eliminated: Haley, Rachel, Amber

Episode 5: 11 girls – hot air in Mexico City

9 women went on a group date and learned basic Spanish. With their new knowledge, the women had to ask locals questions to find Ben who was waiting in a restaurant. After the women found him, they had to pair up and cook a dish together. Of course there was an odd number of girls, so Olivia (the new crazy of the group) jumped at the chance to cook with Ben. Ben’s decision to give Olivia the rose at the end of the date sent a simultaneous “whyyyyyyyy?” among viewers.

Ben took both Amanda and Lauren H. on 1-on-1 dates. Amanda got to ride in a hot air balloon and Lauren H. walked the runway in a fashion show. Both women got roses. Amanda, still riding on cloud nine in the hot air balloon, floated down to earth when Olivia made a reference to her being “Teen Mom” during the cocktail party.

Eliminated: Jubilee (eliminated during group date), Jen

Episode 6: 9 girls – pigs in the Bahamas

Ben took 6 women to a beach to swim with pigs – yes, pigs. The pigs squealed and ran around. They didn’t look too friendly and the girls reacted accordingly by running away and screaming. Eventually, both parties warmed up to each other and the pigs let the women cradle them. Amanda received the group date rose.

Caila went deep sea fishing on a 1-on-1 date with Ben and got a rose. For the first time this season, Ben got to take 2 girls on a 2-on-1 date. He decided to take Emily (the chosen twin) and Olivia (the crazy) onto a private island. Olivia went home and Emily got the rose.

Eliminated: Olivia (on 2-on-1 date), Leah, Lauren H.

Episode 7: 6 girls – Ben takes the women home

For the group date in Ben’s hometown of Warsaw, Indiana, Caila, Becca, and Amanda went boating in a lake and spent time with Ben. Ben gave the rose to Amanda. The group date turned 1-on-1 date with Amanda continued into a McDonald’s (romantic), where they shot a commercial. After, the couple went to a carnival.

The 3 women not on a group date – Lauren B., JoJo, and Emily – all got 1-on-1 dates. Lauren B. and Ben spent time exploring Warsaw and went to a local youth center when a few Indiana Pacers dropped by. JoJo played some baseball with Ben on Wrigley field, sorta (I imagine 2 people playing every position on the field is challenging). Both Lauren B. and JoJo once again swept Ben off of his feet and received roses. As for the last 1-on-1, well, Mama knows best. Emily got the chance to meet Ben’s parents, and they were unimpressed. Ben sent Emily home.

Eliminated: Emily (on 1-on-1 date), Becca

Episode 8: 4 girls – family concerns during hometown dates

Ben visited Amanda in Laguna Beach for his first hometown date. While lying in the sand on the beach, the couple was greeted – okay more like trampled on – by Amanda’s children, in the most loving way possible. Not long after, the question came. Are you ready to be a father? Ben said he realizes the responsibility of his decision.

Leaving California, Ben journeyed up the coast to Portland, Oregon to visit Lauren B. Some whiskey and a few food truck purchases later, Ben meets the family. Lauren B.’s father expressed his concern about the possibility of engagement after such a short amount of time. At the end of the date, Lauren B. decides against telling Ben she loves him.

Ben then took a trek halfway across the country to find Caila in Hudson, Ohio. Caila’s father runs a toy factory, so she took him there to build a toy house. After their future house (?) is built and ready to go, Ben meets the parents. Caila admitted to her father that Ben is the one, and she is in love, but decides not to tell Ben yet.

For the final hometown date, Ben headed to Dallas, Texas. Before Ben arrived, JoJo received flowers from her ex-boyfriend, which put a major damper on the mood. JoJo is honest with Ben and tells him that she just had a conversation with her ex. Ben is supportive of her and goes to meet her parents and her overly protective brothers. JoJo’s brothers make for an uncomfortable situation and Ben wished the date played out differently.

Eliminated: Amanda

Episode 9 – Jamaican everyone crazy, Ben

Ben takes a romantic getaway to Jamaica with the 3 remaining women. Caila got the first date of the trip and the couple went rafting. All is well, but Ben is concerned that Caila is not fully opening up to him. Next, Ben spends time with Lauren B. on a preservation of turtles. Maybe it was the cute turtles around her, or maybe it was Ben’s shirtless body that the camera loves to zoom in on, but Lauren B. finally got the courage to drop those 3 special words – and Ben said it right back. “I love you” was flying around every 5 minutes. But wait, it gets better. On Ben’s final date, he takes JoJo on a helicopter ride over a jungle to a waterfall. Disappointed in her hometown date, but still passionate about her feelings, JoJo tells Ben she loves him – and Ben said it right back. Yes, Ben said it again! Ben is in love with 2 women. C’mon Ben, Jamaican us crazy!

Eliminated: Caila

Episode 10 – the women tell all

Tune in on March 7 for a tell all about the season. Expect drama. Expect rose hats. Expect anything.

Episode 11 – JoJo or Lauren B.?

The finale is on March 14 and the anticipation is excruciating!!  Get ready, this is going to be an emotional roller-coaster.

Debrief of the final 2 women:

Lauren B.

·      From Portland, Oregon

·      Flight attendant

·      Has a nice family

·      Blonde

·      In love with Ben

·      Ben is in love with her

JoJo

·      From Dallas, Texas

·      Real estate developer

·      Has overprotective brothers

·      Brunette

·      In love with Ben

·      Ben is in love with her

Spot me at USC making a fire playlist on Spotify or cracking a classic dad joke.    
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!