7 Ways to Score Free Items on Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

We’ve alI heard the saying “you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone” and if you’re a struggling college student like myself you know that this is truer than ever when you go off to school.

Long gone are the childhood days of home cooked meals and free laundry service. It’s time to face the music, you’re an adult now, and money can be hard to manage when everything seems to have a price tag.  

So, whether you’re a innocent freshman or a wise senior and your wallet could use a break, have no fear. I’m here to ease your worries with a helpful list of a few ways to score some free goodies right here on campus!

1. Browse the farmer’s market

If you have time to kill in between Wednesday classes, the farmer’s market in McCarthy Quad is the best place to go. But instead of purchasing the first thing you see, browse the selection and wait for the samples to roll in. If you’re not offered a sample, just ask! All of the vendors are more than happy to let you try what they are offering.

1. Join the free and for sale page on Facebook

While this page is often light on the “free” and heavy on the “for sale” you never know what gems you might come across. If you’re a dedicated bargain hunter and visit this page often you just might be lucky enough to score some fun things. Hey, one (wo)man’s trash is another (wo)man’s treasure!  

1. Follow Amazebowls on Instagram

Hello fellow acai lovers, this one’s for you! If you follow Amazebowls on Instagram, you can be the first to know about their free acai days. Time and date is always announced and there’s no catch, as long as you don’t mind the long lines!

1. Visit OWHP at the Student Health Center

Candy, condoms, and couches oh my! Stop by the Office of Wellness and Health Promotion in the Engemann Student Health Center to score some free goodies (including candy and condoms) and enjoy their massage chairs while you’re at it! They even offer free yoga classes; visit their online site for the schedule.

1. Take the products that people offer you around campus

Nowadays, so many companies have realized that college campuses are the ideal locations to promote their products. Many of them have student ambassadors that walk around campus with free samples just to hand out to students. Key tip here: if someone offers you a free sample, you always take it. In fact, why stop at just one? Free kettle chips? Why not try every flavor?

1. Go to more events on campus

Let’s be honest, events on campus are like the Mecca of free things. Whether it’s an involvement fair on Trousdale or a guest speaker in Annenberg, you’re almost sure to score anything from a free t-shirt to some yummy In-N-Out.

1. Make a friend with Trojan Plan

If all else fails, it is very possible to find a friend that has the Trojan meal plan. With 3,250 dining dollars, you and your new lunch buddy can hit up Lemonade everyday!

Cassi is from San Jose, California and is currently studying Spanish at USC. In her free time she enjoys dancing, traveling, acai bowls, and G-Eazy. On campus, she is involved in her sorority, Pi Beta Phi. Follow her on Instagram @cassironquillo and Twitter @cassironquill0 !!
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!