USC Activate President: Abe Burford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC (AU) chapter.

Bored, sick of studying and don’t know what to do about it? USC Activate’s President, Abe Burford tells us all about USC Activate, how to join and what’s on offer for the semester!

HC: What is USC Activate all about?

AB: USC Activate started up last year by another student who recently graduated. I joined up last year and so did a couple of other boys and we basically tried to get the word out. It’s all about trying new things and seeing parts of the coast you don’t usually get to see; and getting involved in different sports.

HC: What kind of sports are involved?

AB: We do kyacking, canoeing, rock climbing; which is a big one that we do. We don’t really do surfing lessons because USC Sport already does that. But surfing’s not hard, you just gotta get out there and try it for yourself! And on campus we have the slackliner, which is really fun!

HC: How do you sign up?

AB: You can sign up anytime between 12pm and 1pm at the Student Guild, which is located inside the Uni Club or on the USC Activate Facebook fan page. It’s only $20 to sign up or $30 and you get a free get t-shirt as well! Well, it’s included…

HC: What’s coming up on campus this semester?

AB: Well, twice a week, on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s we hold campus events. We also have a camping trip coming up this Saturday at Coochin Creek; just the one night.

HC: Can anyone join in on the campus events?

AB: You don’t have to sign up for the stuff happening on campus, but to go on the trips with us you do. By charging a membership fee it keeps the program sustainable, so that we have enough equipment.

HC: So, do you go by bus to the trips outside campus?

AB: Usually we just carpool; we get everyone in a few cars and drive up.

HC: How many people have you got involved and how many people attend the campus events?

AB: We have 15 of us at the moment, who are members and usually we get between 30 to 40 people join in on campus. Which is pretty good!

HC: Is there anything else you want the students to know?

AB: Mostly, just to come along to the events we hold on campus; you know, try it out. It’s definitely worth signing up, especially if you love the outdoors and want to get out there. Usually, the students at USC just come to uni for class then go to Mooloolaba or Maroochydore. By joining USC Activate, we try to organise trips to places that aren’t that popular or where many just don’t visit. Everyone thinks there’s not much to do up here, but really, there’s heaps to do. There’s so many places that not many people visit because either they don’t know about it or are just thinking about study; there’s also so many spots that we have discovered ourselves just by venturing out of the uni. I definitely recommend joining to everyone.

P.S Look out for the USC Activate Activity Calendar which will be posted in the next few weeks! Stay tuned guys!

Jasmin Maastricht is a third year Journalism student at USC, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at USC, as well as being one of the 2013 USC Student Mentor's, freelancing for online publication WeekendNotes and interning for Australia's number one online fashion store, Fashionfile. Her passion is Journalism but besides that, Jasmin has always had a strong interest in fashion and entertainment, completing six weeks of work experience with Noosa 101.3fm Community Radio Station and has had the amazing opportunity of working with Australia's number one teenage lifestyle magazines, DOLLY in April 2011 and again in April 2013 and Girlfriend in February, 2013. She has also scored herself internships with the Sunshine Coast's local newspaper, the Sunshine Coast Daily and with Caboolture News. She has been working with both papers eight months now. She has previously worked with Darby Radcliff with the Her Campus Ole Miss chapter while on exchange in Mississippi as well as working with the M s Observer magazine and has never looked back. Email Jasmin at jasminmaastricht@hercampus.com for any questions or getting involved at Her Campus USC or contact her via social media. HCXO!