PAK Marketing Coordinator: Mark Turner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC (AU) chapter.

We caught up with USC Performing Arts Kollective Marketing Coordinator Mark Turner this week to share his insights into PAK, what it’s all about, how to join and most importantly how he got the position as Marketing Coordinator!

PAK members, Felicity Biggs, Nericha De Kock and Marketing Coordinator Mark Turner.

1. Her Campus USC: First of all, how did you get involved with PAK?

Mark Turner: Funny story; I heard about PAK but wasn’t really sure I would fit in or be keen on being a part of the group. When the musical auditions came around I was rehearsing for Eisteddfods and was extremely busy. I had a friend who convinced me to audition and the rest is history. Now almost a year later I am part of the PAK board team!

2. HC: What are you studying and what is your biggest passion?

Mark: I began a Bachelor of Biomedical Science but once USC released the drama major, I changed my degree to Bachelor of Science majoring in Biomedical science, and Bachelor of Arts in Drama. As a duel degree it is quite an interesting combination. But I love it as it melds two passions for science and performing arts. I would say performance and science share quite an equal level in being my passions.

3. HC: Is being with PAK more for social reasons or are you seeking a career in drama/acting down the track?

Mark: I am extremely social and I became a part of the family environment that is PAK, from being afraid of not fitting in to PAK being one of my main focuses and passions. I would love to perform in dance, drama and singing around the world and PAK has opened many doors for me in the short time I have been involved as well as many for our other members.

4. HC: What steps are you taking to reach your goals?

Mark: I study a lot and I dance, sing, act in PAK and outside of PAK. I am currently at Dance Edge Studios and have been for the past 14 years, especially in dancing and singing. Keeping my goals in mind and having something to work towards keeps me going. Being a part of PAK allows me to have fun whilst striving for these goals.

5. HC: How long have you known what you’ve wanted to do? (Career-wise)

Mark: I was ever-changing throughout school. Did I want to follow by artistic dreams or take the scientific route? Having a double major and being involved in PAK also allows me to have as USC states, “The Best Of Both Worlds”. I would love to work in Forensic science as an Anthropologist, but will definitely be exploring my broadway dreams as well. Why not dream big?

Mark with PAK member and friend, Jackson Kellaway.

6. HC: Would you recommend joining PAK to anyone?

Mark: Absolutely! It’s the best thing I have ever done at university and I wouldn’t ever second guess recommending it or second guess joining if I was to turn back time.

7. HC: What’s it like being a part of PAK?

Mark: Endless fun with friends who have become like a family to me! We receive so many opportunities to perform and hone in on our crafts. There is an element of those who want to pursue a professional career and those who just want to have fun. Those who have never been involved in any of the facets of performing arts are always welcome and every week more and more members who are completely new to performing arts join us.

8. HC: What’s your advice to new students who want to get involved?

Mark: Just do it and don’t be afraid. PAK is the most loving environment and we have so much fun. Contact us via Facebook or via email at pakusc@gmail.com and we’ll help you get involved to a level you are most comfortable.

Jasmin Maastricht is a third year Journalism student at USC, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at USC, as well as being one of the 2013 USC Student Mentor's, freelancing for online publication WeekendNotes and interning for Australia's number one online fashion store, Fashionfile. Her passion is Journalism but besides that, Jasmin has always had a strong interest in fashion and entertainment, completing six weeks of work experience with Noosa 101.3fm Community Radio Station and has had the amazing opportunity of working with Australia's number one teenage lifestyle magazines, DOLLY in April 2011 and again in April 2013 and Girlfriend in February, 2013. She has also scored herself internships with the Sunshine Coast's local newspaper, the Sunshine Coast Daily and with Caboolture News. She has been working with both papers eight months now. She has previously worked with Darby Radcliff with the Her Campus Ole Miss chapter while on exchange in Mississippi as well as working with the M s Observer magazine and has never looked back. Email Jasmin at jasminmaastricht@hercampus.com for any questions or getting involved at Her Campus USC or contact her via social media. HCXO!