This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Every year families get together for Thanksgiving dinner. They eat, laugh and make memories.

3. Family game night 

Thanksgiving is a great holiday because there’s no pressure about gift giving, which means you can focus on spending time and making memories with your family. What better way to spend time with your family than while playing games? Games can range from board games, trivia games about family members or made-up games from generations ago. Family game night is the true test to see who is the most competitive. 

4. Black Friday 

Every year more and more stores open their doors to people who are fighting to get the best deals before midnight. In my family, the planning of Black Friday shopping starts right after dessert. The counter is typically cluttered with flyers from every store and everyone’s Christmas lists come out of the woodworks. Black Friday is taken very seriously. 

5. Leftover turkey sandwiches 

The main course is filled with various sides and turkey (of course), but where do all the left overs go? Leftover sandwiches, of course. These are usually eaten later that night, after Black Friday shopping or in the days following for lunch or dinner or even a snack. 

6. “I’m Thankful for…” 

Thanksgiving is about being thankful, so of course the most important tradition is answering “what are you thankful for this year?” There will always be the aunts/uncles/grandparents/parents who will say that they are thankful that everyone is healthy and together. If you’re a college student you will most likely answer this by saying you are thankful for making it through (or almost making it through) a semester and for the friends you’ve made. Whatever the case may be, make sure that you have something planned out before the Thanksgiving festivities begin. 

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.