A Single Girl’s Guide for The Holiday’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

We have officially reached that time of year! If you are single like me, you know exactly what I’m talkin’ about! Once it is officially holiday season, every couple in the world decides it’s time to start doing fun- festive date nights and post all over social media. For some reason or another, it seems as if the festivities are never ending for these couples, and the only reason I say that is because the social media posts are never ending! Well, if you are anything like me, and it is yet ANOTHER holiday season where you are single- fear not. I am the queen at doing fun-festive things around the holiday’s without a significant other, because, believe it or not, it is possible! Without further ado, here is a list I have come up with for all of you single ladies out there so you don’t feel like you are missing out!

1. Movie night with the girls

Grab your girls and have a holiday themed movie night! Who doesn’t love some good holiday movies!? You definitely don’t need to have a significant other for this one, I’m sure any of your friends would love to join you in on this! Want to spice it up even more? Have each person bring a bottle of wine, and look up drinking games for that particular movie (there are so many good ones out there, let me tell you). 

2. Shopping day

Did someone say shopping? Shopping is the perfect way to get out and about and it’s especially fun around the holiday’s. Grab some friends, or go alone! Shopping alone in a way is so relaxing, and you can get a lot done. Personally, I love picking out the perfect gifts for my family and friends. Always remember to buy yourself a little treat, too. 

3. Spa day

Okay, this is hands down the BEST time of year for a nice spa day! The weather is brutal this time of year, which means your skin is probably not doing so hot compared to summertime. You definitely don’t need a significant other for this one! No offense to anyone who enjoys these, because to each their own, but why in the world does a couples massage sound fun to you? Massages are all about relaxing your body and mind and decompressing from your busy life. In my opinion, they are meant to be a solo activity, but hey, if you’re into it then kudos to you! 

4. Host a cookie decorating party

Whip out your ‘hostess with the mostess skills! Have your friends over for a cookie decorating party. This is such a fun activity to do around the holiday’s. Turn on some holiday music, decorate the cookies, and then the best part, sit around and eat them! Although, a lot of the times, I don’t even want to eat them because they are so cute. You could even add a friendly competition in- vote on who decorated the best cookie! Everyone always loves a competition, and it would add something extra to your party!

The holidays’ are fun for everyone! Whether you are in a relationship or not, embrace it! Just because you are going through another holiday season without a significant other doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the fun, too. 

Senior at URI with a major in Journalism and a minor in Public Relations. Shannon studied abroad in the fall of 2016 in London, UK. While in London, Shannon interned at Time and Leisure Magazine where she wrote and edited for the publication.