freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Learning to Walk Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

A few months ago, I never envisioned myself sitting down to write this article, because, believe it or not, I never had to walk away from someone until more recently. Have you ever been in a relationship, whether it is between a family member, a friend, or a significant other where you feel like you are constantly giving yourself to them, and receiving nothing in return? Well, unfortunately it is a feeling we all know too well, and I too, have experienced this. When do you decide enough is enough and learn to walk away? That was the hardest question I would ask myself daily, and I finally reached my breaking point and learned to just walk away. 

How did I do this? It’s actually very simple that I am even wondering why it took me so long to realize this. You see, the greatest thing about your life is you have the ability to choose what you want out of it, and who you want to be apart of it. I had to really think first, what I wanted out of my own life. After all, why should I let someone else decide what my happiness looks like? That is not how it works. I thought long and hard about my roots, where I come from, what I want to take with me into my future, what I even want my future to look like, and then it was time for the next step: who I wanted to be a part of my life.

Growing up, I had an amazing family who always supported me, and continues to do so, as well as a great group of friends. This has still held true for my college years and the people I have met here as well. However, there have definitely been certain people who I have let into my world, and in doing so, they have taken every ounce of me and have given me nothing in return. This left me feeling completely empty. For a few weeks, I felt completely lost. I continued to let this person be a part of my world, until one night when I realized there was a simple way out of all of this and I told myself, “Move forward with your life. Let the people who better you and care about you endlessly, like you do them, in, and the ones who don’t, out.” I did exactly that, and let me tell you, I woke up this morning as the sun shined on my skin, and felt absolutely refreshed. There is no better time to live for you than right now. Do what makes you happy. Wake up every morning and ask yourself, “Am I truly happy?” If the answer is no, then ask yourself, “What could I change to make me live my best possible life?” Start from there, and I promise you, before you know it you will be living a happier life. 

I think it’s in our human nature to want people to come back around at some point in their life. I still cling to this notion that in my situation, it will happen. The one thing that is crucial about learning to walk away is first of all, to never expect them to come back around. However, if the person does come back around, whether you choose to let them back into your life or not, always remember why you cut them out in the first place. 

With the new year right around the corner, take these tips and apply them to your life! Make this your happiest year yet. 

Senior at URI with a major in Journalism and a minor in Public Relations. Shannon studied abroad in the fall of 2016 in London, UK. While in London, Shannon interned at Time and Leisure Magazine where she wrote and edited for the publication.