gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Is It Your Fault You’re Getting Played?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Okay ladies it’s time to get brutally honest.  While the f***boy epidemic is real, who is to say that there aren’t two sides to this tragic love story?  As shameful members of the “Netflix & Chill” generation it’s time to do some self-reflection and ask ourselves, what are we doing to break the trend?  After all, it takes two to tango and I hate to break it to you, but if you’re continuously getting played you need to take some of the responsibility for it.  These college boys WILL use your heart and each of its delicate strings as a yo-yo if you don’t demand some respect.  How can you do that? Why, I’m glad you asked.

Be honest.

With him and yourself.  If he’s just looking for a hook up and you’re not interested in just being a 10:30 p.m. text message then say so.  Don’t try to convince yourself that you are okay with being a designated booty call, and definitely don’t think that being his designated booty call will send him spiraling into love with you.  That is not romance, that is delusion.  Walk away with some dignity.

Be vocal.

If you want to be exclusive, say so.  If you agree on being exclusive and find out that he’s talking to three other girls in three different sororities, move on.  Yes, it really is this simple.

Be “BAE”.

Okay, I couldn’t think of a better way to phrase this so let me break it down for you.  Treat him the way you would want to be treated.  Like I said before, it takes two, so if you want him to be sweet and sexy, return the favor.  This isn’t the “You Show” so throw him a bone (no pun intended).  Whether it’s bringing him coffee or doing that thing you know he likes, *wink wink* a little effort goes along way. 

Like T.I. said, “Better treat your girl right cause another man will” that applies to men, too.

You are not a doormat.  You are brilliant and beautiful and deserve better.  So demand better.  

URI Her Campus President, Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief! Jersey Girl. Public Relations & Communication Studies double major. Class of 2O17. Usually at the beach, probably petting the closest dog.